Indy application

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

enema

Indy application

Post by enema »

I am filling in an application for an independent school and one of the questions is 'what other schools have you applied for - please name'

Is this a common question on indy applications, and does anyone know the rationale behind it?
Daogroupie

Re: Indy application

Post by Daogroupie »

They want to know how likely you would be to take up a place if offered. If the school is your first choice you should always try and indicate that on the form. DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Actually, this question is usually about exam date clashes. If x number of candidates are sitting for another school with the same exam date, they need to fix a make-up date accordingly. It isn't about your preference of school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am sure you know best about your school, but admin at other schools have said that it is helpful to know how likely students are to take the place.

A student with a long list may well be awash with choice in February. I know of a student who was offered a place at a school where she did not even attend the interview because her exam results were so good. That was one of six offers she received

Some actually ask you to rank your choices on the form.

I know of a ds who was asked in interview at Habs boys if it was his first choice. He told them that it was in fact St Albans boys and was not given an offer at Habs.

I recommend all dcs not to leave the interview room at Habs boys or girls without telling them it is your first choice.

If you don't tell them they won't know and in my experience it really helps.

You have not told us the school but if it is your first choice, tell them on the form. DG
enema

Post by enema »

The dilemma is that we are applying for one other located close by. If I did not reveal this, my worry is that the registrars would informally verify and as we are applying for a bursary, I do not want to jeopardize this by being caught not disclosing the info. Ironically I only applied for the other school last week, and would not be in this position if I had applied to this school first. They are both very high preference for us, although the school asking about others applied for is marginally the first choice.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Then say that then. Either say it is first choice or joint first. What area are you in? DG
enema

Post by enema »

Manchester area
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

just about every girl who sits for Withington Girls' School also sits for Manchester High School for Girls, both schools know this, they would consider it very odd if it was not the case since both are almost walking distance from each other although WGS is considered by most to be more academic.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Does DC have to attend an interview if they pass the exam? If so then that's when I would encourage them to say whether the school is their first choice or not.
Don't think it matters at all at the application stage.
enema

Post by enema »

Exam dates set in advance of registration forms being sent out so its not for clash purposes. Both schools interview.