Looking at schools for Yr 3 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mm23292

Looking at schools for Yr 3 entry

Post by mm23292 »

DD is currently Yr 2, and we although we are in catchment for a good Yr 3 transition school, we are also looking at some prep schools in the area.
DD is a quiet & sensitive but sociable child, who needs a challenge. I had discounted Maltmans on the basis of it's cliquey rather pushy reputation, and prefer High March in the sense it seemed less so.
However, it is hard to ignore the Maltman facilities and rather glowing ISI report.
Does anyone have any experience of these schools that might suggest otherwise?
Also, we have just seen Gayhurst, and were pleasantly surprised. We hadn't looked at co-ed but are now wondering if this might be a better option in terms of avoiding the issues that girls only schools seem to so often have. Especially as DD is quite a sensitive soul!
We love St. Mary's but think we would prefer a school that just concentrates on prep, and have no idea what the 11plus focus / success rate is like there. I know HM had a really high pass rate last year.
Any personal feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Re: Looking at schools for Yr 3 entry

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

My eldest went to Pipers Corner from Year 1 - Year 8 and she loved it. The advantage of an all-through school is the facilities and the option of staying there if the 11+ does not quite go to plan. We chose it as my daughter struggled initially at a state infant school, but we felt there was so much going on in Pipers that she would find something to excel at (she was sports and music) but the academic results are now very good. And the fact that the 6th former that showed us around was such a good ambassador for the school.

No partner school in Bucks should be helping children with the 11+ (others will know the technicalities more than me) and all of these schools whilst promoting the % that got into grammar will have probably relied on the parents doing tuition outside of school.
mm23292

Re: Looking at schools for Yr 3 entry

Post by mm23292 »

Thanks CAM...I know a few who have been to PC and have loved it too, but hadn't considered it yet.
It's interesting that partner schools should not, as you say, be actively helping towards 11plus preparation, but having spoken to many family & friends with children who have passed through prep, their experience was definitely more 'preparatory' than the state experience we had with ours.
There were specific lessons of VR practice, along with other regular extra-curricular 'tests' all designed to prepare the child for exams like the 11plus and CE, an exposure that our old state primary just did not provide in any way at all. They may not be doing it overtly, but they are certainly providing more than the state system allows. It is hardly surprising that the vast majority in my nephews class at GS have come from prep, and parental input aside, the comparative pass rates of state versus Independent must surely suggest that there is a greater focus on preparation than officially led to believe?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now