Letters from WGHS / KEHS Edgbaston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petitpois

Letters from WGHS / KEHS Edgbaston

Post by Petitpois »

Got my letter results notification letter from WGHS, to compare with QMHS.

Interesting that the WGHS letter says the range of scores in this year test is 417 - 190, whilst the QMHS letter says the range of score in this years test is 420 to 200. So if the same paper and standardisation, then range was 190 to 420.

My best guess is that they are saying the range of scores for those children who took the test and expressed an interest in the school.

That would imply that the school is only giving giving the best and worst result based on expression of interest, not the actual test. Just an observation.

Also got letter from KEHS - telling me my daughter had taken the 11+ in Birmingham and that if I want to take their test, its on the 28/29 of Jan. Letter says registration form to be back with the by 18/1/16 also says.

differs from KE 11+ exam
requires no coaching (other than being able to speak the Queen's English, in a 1950's accent :mrgreen: )
aims to recognise potential

A level results are great at KEHS
mike1880

Re: Letters from WGHS / KEHS Edgbaston

Post by mike1880 »

requires no coaching (other than being able to speak the Queen's English, in a 1950's accent :mrgreen: )
The accent is an outcome, not a requirement (absolutely not 1950s tho). It can be a bit startling for other members of the family.

Ignore the no coaching suggestion, why do they even bother to say that? Do they really think the hordes descending on them from Bluecoat et al every year have not been prepped to the eyeballs?
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

My daughter got an assisted place (in year 7 now) and she wasn't coached at all. We did a couple of months of prep over the summer for the 11 plus and then nothing between then and the KEHS exam. But maybe the competition for assisted places is different because you're not up against all the EHS/Bluecoat girls? Who knows! It seemed like quite a straightforward exam, similar to what they already do in school, so why would they need additional coaching, unless the school isn't doing its job?

PS her accent is already beginning to change! I'm not complaining though, its an improvement on Black Country!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Bostin r kid. :lol:

When queen victoria went to himley hall, story goes she shut the curtains on the train carriage, rather than look out. Occasionally feel a bit like that going down the wolverhampton rd,.not saying which way tho!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Petitpois wrote:Got my letter results notification letter from WGHS, to compare with QMHS.

Interesting that the WGHS letter says the range of scores in this year test is 417 - 190, whilst the QMHS letter says the range of score in this years test is 420 to 200. So if the same paper and standardisation, then range was 190 to 420.

My best guess is that they are saying the range of scores for those children who took the test and expressed an interest in the school.

That would imply that the school is only giving giving the best and worst result based on expression of interest, not the actual test. Just an observation.
If they don't standardise sub-cohorts separately, there wouldn't be much point in asking you in advance of the test which schools you were interested in, I'd have thought? Although if you are being told one score, but then different ranges for the various schools, it almost sounds like they standardise the cohort as a whole, then tell people the range of the scores of those who nominated whichever school out of that overall range, if you see what I mean? Otherwise, you would expect your own child to have a different score for each school (as well as the ranges being different) because they would be part of a different sub-cohort for each.

Would it be useful if you got something like we do here along with your score?
http://www.csse.org.uk/images/simplefil ... -10-14.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Dont geg much better than that. Useful
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now