Can anybody recommend any courses by Susan Daughtrey?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lily11+

Can anybody recommend any courses by Susan Daughtrey?

Post by lily11+ »

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anybody can recommend Susan Daughtrey at all please?

I don't know whether it's worth paying about £1000 for her to join the Year 4 foundation course for the 11+.

Thank you
aimhigh2016

Re: Can anybody recommend any courses by Susan Daughtrey?

Post by aimhigh2016 »

I just booked my son on the year 5 course- she has a very good reputation although she doesn't always teach the classes herself

I looked at many others but Susan Authors some of the 11+ materials- classes are around 18 in size and she has been doing this a long time
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

lily11+ wrote:Hi,

I'm wondering whether anybody can recommend Susan Daughtrey at all please?

I don't know whether it's worth paying about £1000 for her to join the Year 4 foundation course for the 11+.

Thank you
I don't think 2 years of tuition should be necessary.
scary mum
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I agree with Scary mum.

Maths from the CEM is covered in the school curriculum. The other big area, vocabulary, can be build up at home through reading together and playing word games. Other than that it is down to exam technique which shouldn't take 2 years to acquire.
lily11+

Post by lily11+ »

It's a hard decision to make as I did telephone the company and they did ask me is she bright? I did say well, she could be brighter!! She does struggle with Maths and times tables and a bit of verbal reasoning.

I then went on to say is it usually the academic children that sign up and they said usually yes!
Now I'm starting to think is this course going to benefit her? Will she fit in?
I think there is only 1 teacher to 18/20 children and that worries me about how much time individually a child will get from this.

Now I know why her results for passing every year are brilliant, the children are already clever to begin with!

I'm still pondering lol
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Don't know this lady but I heard of a tutor in Birmingham who charges to assess child in all areas and then lets you know if will take them on - ie will only take on if bright already and likely to pass so doesn't affect her statistics!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In your case then definitely save the money wait a year and pay for small group or one to one.

Check out this site for apps etc that will help with DCs mental maths. My DC found a times table one on memrise and within two weeks he had made a massive improvement.

Also if you have doubts about DC ability then consider some of the excellent Uppers on offer in Bucks. The are on a parr if not better than many Comprehensives I have experienced. Being the top set in these schools gives DCs a huge boost of confidence and some of them are producing As across the board at GCSE with their higher ability sets.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

I'm afraid I'm not a very big fan of SD for CEM. You'd have to do a search on the forum as the course has been discussed a lot here over the last couple of years. SD is definitely not suited to CEM courses and as far as her material is concerned, it's far too outdated for CEM.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

+1. Her reputation has been built up on old style VR and you need to make sure you are signing up with a company that can give you references of students who have gained a place in your area since the advent of CEM.

I always ask parents why they choose certain study centres and tutors and am amazed how many take recommendations from other parents without following up themselves.

Make sure you actually speak to a parent who can verify that their dc got a high mark in CEM as a direct result of doing a course or working with a particular tutor.

I hear all the time that a tutor has lots of experience but it is not always linked to recent success.

Make sure any course you sign up for is focused on the right exam format. DG
varushi

Post by varushi »

Susan Daughtrey is old format VR and CEM is different.I also think it's not needed to do two years preparation at all.The exam is based on KS2 syllabus and one year preparation is more than enough.