Any advice re a bursary interview?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Any advice re a bursary interview?

Post by Ed's mum »

Because we are as poor as church mice (!!) we have asked for a bursary from Rugby School. They told us how much we would be entitled to (a very generous sum) and told us it was dependent upon certain criteria:
1. Passing the entrance exams.
2. Showing scholarship standard in the entrance exams.
3. An interview with the Head.

We have got through the first 2 hurdles (incidentally he has also endured 2 interviews with his future House Master in 2 years time and the man who would be his main teacher for the next 2 years.
My question is this...does anyone have ANY idea just how close my son may be to securing a place? He has to take in his lit and num books and a piece of work he is most proud of...
I feel he has already demonstrated everything they could possibly be looking for, so what can we expect on Monday???
Anyone with any experience of this sort of thing, or any advice from anyone would be most appreciated.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Any advice re a bursary interview?

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Ed's mum wrote:incidentally he has also endured 2 interviews with his future House Master in 2 years time and the man who would be his main teacher for the next 2 years.
Clearly you have 2 teachers on your side already otherwise you wouldn't have been invited back.
Sounds to me like you should just repeat the process. Keep up the good work!
Seeing the Headmaster is probably a necessary step when a financial award is involved.
Good Luck

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
usa

bursary

Post by usa »

Dear Ed's Mum
You are almost there! I have been following your posts with interest!
My advice to Ed would be to just be himself and let them know just how keen he really is on going to the school. It has to come from him.
Personally I think the last step is just a 'rubber stamp job' from the man in charge.....
A huge achievement if Ed does it - and I think he will!
Good luck!
USA
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Wow USA, you know how to lift a girl's spirits!!!

I composed a really long reply then it disappeared...

Ed has just been made a school prefect today, so he can wear that on his sweatshirt for Monday. Unless he loses it, a speciality of his! He has to take along certain school books and a piece of work which he is most proud of. As yet, he cannot think of anything...not surprising really as although he is a bright level 5 his work is messy, lazily done (he does the minimum ALWAYS) and with poor spelling! LOL :mrgreen:
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Ed's mum wrote:Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Wow USA, you know how to lift a girl's spirits!!!

I composed a really long reply then it disappeared...

Ed has just been made a school prefect today, so he can wear that on his sweatshirt for Monday. Unless he loses it, a speciality of his! He has to take along certain school books and a piece of work which he is most proud of. As yet, he cannot think of anything...not surprising really as although he is a bright level 5 his work is messy, lazily done (he does the minimum ALWAYS) and with poor spelling! LOL :mrgreen:
How did you persuade him not to be lazy and messy and bad at spelling in the entrance test? :wink: It does sound as though having jumped through all those hoops the interview with the main man is more a formality than anything. I expect he likes to check out his new recruits for himself. Is Ed going to board at Rugby?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It was an innovative computerised test...so no writing needed!! Although he did have to answer a questionnaire in his own hand, about his hobbies etc.
He won't board as we are just over ten miles away, he will be a day boy. Most children start at 13 after taking the Common Entrance exam from their prep school. Each year they take between about 8 and 12, 13, 14 (?) as day pupils from the age of 11 and put them in a little house called Marshall House. They automatically join the main school after 2 years.
Not in yet though...he cannot go without the bursary.
cam

Post by cam »

Good luck. If I were you I'd try and 'think outside the box' - naff statement - I'm sorry. Take a model from a geog project, a powerpoint presentation and perhaps some cookery based on regional / historical / ?? research, something a bit quirky, backed up by something academic to fix Ed in their minds.
All the best.
keep us posted.
Enter Dad...

Post by Enter Dad... »

A quote: “In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, they had better aim at something high.â€
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks for the responses Cam and Enter Dad...
They were great suggestions Cam, although he didn't seem to have done any projects etc.
We have settled for a poem which he has written and is about to be published in a book of poetry, all written by school children. A thoughtful, well structured poem, so we are quite thrilled about that.
Thankfully his school books are not too bad either, although nearly every comment in his numeracy book asks him why he hasn't written down the lesson objective!! Shame they don't print them on stickers like I do at MY school!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I am counting down the hours until tomorrow now...Ed seems relatively relaxed about the whole thing! Apparently, his nerves will kick in tomorrow...
Uniform is washed and drying, shoes polished, badges in a safe place (!) and books ready to go.
Edward was angling for the rest of the day off school after the interview, but once I told him he would need to come to my school (where the children stare at him for being a teacher's child - and not having two heads) he changed his mind and agreed that returning to school was preferable!!
His teacher wished me luck on Friday, then said it to Edward before we left the playground. When we got home we also found a postcard inside his literacy book, from the same teacher, wishing him luck. Great support from the school - maybe they know his 11+ results for the local grammar school ?!