Showrooms for American Style Fridge Freezer

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
modernista

Showrooms for American Style Fridge Freezer

Post by modernista »

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for American Style Fridge Freezer, about 70-80 cm wide (so a smallish one)

Does anyone know a good showroom around London/ Surrey where one can view them? Frightened of ordering one over the internet and getting a huge ugly thing.
scary mum

Re: Showrooms for American Style Fridge Freezer

Post by scary mum »

It won't be huge if it is only 70-80 cm wide. I would do it the other way round - do your research on the internet and find some the width you need, then find out where they are stocked & go & look at them. There won't be many that size, I wouldn't have thought. A word of warning - ours is a standard size (I presume) and I hate the freezer - it is too narrow. If you are getting a narrower one I would strongly advise getting one where the freezer is underneath the fridge, not a side by side one.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I agree - I had a slightly wider than standard fridge freezer (probably 90 ?) it had freezer on top and fridge at the bottom - had curved front and looked good as stand alone unit.
I now have a large side by side FF, even though it is wider overall the freezer bit is not very wide if you go in for much freezing / storage
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ditto above, the freezer sections tend to have some shelving not all draws so you can't pack stuff in either. This time we swapped to the double opening top fridge, middle fridge draw and bottom freezer draw and I love it. Hated having to bend down to access my veg/salad draw in our old American style. Personally as you need something narrow I would take scary mum's advice and stick to the traditional style.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tolstoy wrote:Ditto above, the freezer sections tend to have some shelving not all draws so you can't pack stuff in either. This time we swapped to the double opening top fridge, middle fridge draw and bottom freezer draw and I love it. Hated having to bend down to access my veg/salad draw in our old American style. Personally as you need something narrow I would take scary mum's advice and stick to the traditional style.
Tolstoy, that's the one I'm going for next time. Everything always slides out of my freezer onto the floor & the containers shatter.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

+4 to the above. My only regret from when I redesigned the kitchen was the lure of the silly fridge freezer I now have to live with.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

scary mum wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:Ditto above, the freezer sections tend to have some shelving not all draws so you can't pack stuff in either. This time we swapped to the double opening top fridge, middle fridge draw and bottom freezer draw and I love it. Hated having to bend down to access my veg/salad draw in our old American style. Personally as you need something narrow I would take scary mum's advice and stick to the traditional style.
Tolstoy, that's the one I'm going for next time. Everything always slides out of my freezer onto the floor & the containers shatter.
Def recommend it, for once in my life I was rather pleased when a kitchen appliance gave up the ghost and that one did way too early in my opinion. Due to humongous cost we did stick with it way longer than we should have by switching it off for a rest once a month :roll: I suppose the DC did appreciate the regular potluck suppers as all those frozen left- overs resurfaced :)
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely be wary of sliding frozen food :lol:
It is a long narrow kitchen with about 1m of space but there is a narrow dishwasher next to it. If I get a 85 wide fridge, I can have a full size dishwasher at some point.
I think a flat faced fridge will look streamlined compared to the rounded ones which are more stabdaloney. Will investigate!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now