Where and when to start? Complete novice!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Justhoping

Where and when to start? Complete novice!

Post by Justhoping »

Hi, I've found this forum after a google search, and I think it's just what I've been looking for.

DS is in year 3, and we would like to do what we can to prepare for the 11plus. We live in the Bromley north area. I don't think he is Olave's material, and to be honest I am not sure at this stage whether he could pass an 11 plus. His maths is weak, he is very good at creative writing. But we want to help him try.

I gave a few questions - what type of work should we be doing to help! How much of if and when should we start? And how do I work put which grammars we could be in catchment for?

Thanks.
MerlinFromCamelot

Re: Where and when to start? Complete novice!

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Year 3 seems a bit young. When mine where that age I kept on top of their maths skills. Making sure that basics like time tables etc are solid ( games are good, and maths questions can be played walking to school in the mornings or during car journey, it does not have to be a formal pen and paper session.) General maths knowledge like how many days in a year, grams in a kilo, meters in a kilometre, how may cards in a deck, ¼= 25%, etc… There are also good free maths games available online.

Also read, read, read…. My oldest hated reading at that age, we got talking books from the library (that way they will still pick up the vocab) talk about what they are reading, ask questions to check their understanding such as Tommy went out in a Tshirt, so which season do you think it is… It may seem simple but questions like that make them think about answers that can perhaps not be copied from the original text. Find manageable articles in papers (nothing to heavy)…

I think the trick is making sure there are no (or not too many) gaps to fill when the time comes to start preparing for the test.

In terms of catchment areas there is no certainty that they will not change in the future but a good guideline is the admission brochure which you can also find on the Bexley council website. Hope the link works.
http://www.bexley.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1901&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, relax and enjoy year 3. They are still very little. On the other hand if you are thinking along the lines of getting a tutor (we didn't and I certainly don't think it is necessary to have one) it may be an idea to start asking for recommendations early as sometimes these get booked up early.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

I would echo the above advice - make sure you can do the basics of maths well;

1) Add 2) Subtract 3) Multiply and 4)Divide and your times table .....we wasted a bit our tutor's time in getting these sorted when this should have been all nailed in year 4
Justhoping

Post by Justhoping »

Thanks both for the advice. It's excellent advice and I shall follow it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Times tables are an absolute must. I am horrified by Y6 students stuttering over simple times table sums.

There is lots of fun software out there that you can use for ten mins a day. My dds loved trying to beat me.

Make sure you get the their/there and were/where and your/you're sorted out.

You will notice plenty of adults on this forum who still don't have this cracked.

It is simple but needs reinforcement. DG