Nonsuch and Wallington girls' schools - pastoral care

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pencil369

Nonsuch and Wallington girls' schools - pastoral care

Post by pencil369 »

Hi

Please could any parent who would like to comment give me an honest opinion about the pastoral care at the two girls' selective schools in Sutton?

My sons attend a boys' selective school and I have been extremely heartened at the level of pastoral care showed by the teachers at their school. I would just like views from parents of girls as I have a daughter in the process of secondary school viewings.

Many thanks.
Myra03

Re: Nonsuch and Wallington girls' schools - pastoral care

Post by Myra03 »

Hi, my dd is in Yr 9 at Wally girls. I've been very, very impressed with their pastoral care and overall duty of care to my daughter. They have been fantastic in their support (DD has a physically restricting genetic condition).
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I would second what Myra says.
My dd sustained an injury over the summer which means she currently needs support. They were only aware of this on her very first day. Honestly the year seven team have been absolutely brilliant. Frequent contact with myself via email and phone and lots of discrete help for my daughter which was what she asked for.
The year seven head and SENCOs have been really easy to get hold of. I couldn't have been more impressed.
pencil369

Post by pencil369 »

Many thanks indeed for your responses so far! Much appreciated. I would value any input, good or bad, from Nonsuch parents too.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Would really appreciate hearing from any Nonsuch parents.

My wife feels that Wallington is a much more welcoming and friendlier school. The HT also comes across as outstanding.

At Nonsuch it does not feel so friendly. Just an observation...nothing else to go on...
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

JLC that was my feeling too when we looked round. We went to the open day for a second time in July a couple of days before my dd was going for her settling in day. We skipped the heads talk and went for a look round when there weren't many others around. The staff and girls spent ages talking to my daughter. There were so friendly and welcoming.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

My girls are at Nonsuch. We all felt the atmosphere was friendlier and more welcoming at Nonsuch and this is why my girls chose the school over Wallington. Both my girls thought the teachers were nicer on the day of the tests. One of the male teachers at Wallington was impatient and stroppy when we were queuing(very nervously) for the test, whereas on the day of the Nonsuch test the teachers seemed more caring. I suppose we shouldn't have based our impression of the schools on the behaviour of one or two teachers on one day. My girls do seem happy at Nonsuch, but we haven't any experience of pastoral care.
I think it is the same HT for both schools now, isn't it?
JLC

Post by JLC »

Thanks for the replies.

I guess it's not a good idea to judge just on these open day events. But then that's all we have to go on.
pencil369

Post by pencil369 »

Many thanks for your responses. I have heard several pessimistic anecdotes about these schools' approach to caring for their young charges, so was interested in hearing from parents on this forum.

Best wishes to all.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Anyone else with any info on Nonsuch?

My daughter just got a fantastic score in the Kent Test. But Nonsuch is so much more convenient as we already have a son at SGS. But all our dealings with Nonsuch, plus the HT issue, has left us a little cold. I so want them to step up...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now