Dartford Grammar v Bexley Grammar v Beths

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ronkevso

Dartford Grammar v Bexley Grammar v Beths

Post by ronkevso »

Hello Parents

I not sure which school to pick for my dc. I like aspects of Dartford Grammar, Bexley Grammar and Beths.

Do any parents have dc/dc's in any of the schools above? How are they progressing? Do you feel they are being challenged academically? Do they enjoy studying at the school? What is the pastoral care like? What about the percentage of students going on to Russell Group universities? Not forgetting the extra- curricular activities.

Please could you share your experiences to help us make the right decision for our dc.

Many thanks
chimneys

Re: Dartford Grammar v Bexley Grammar v Beths

Post by chimneys »

Hi Ronkevso.

Any chance you can answer the question on your "Kent results via school" thread:

"Can I ask what is the lowest overall mark you know of for a child at your school who was deemed suitable for Grammar and the highest for a child who wasnt? Thanks."

Its torture for the rest of us, and any little info helps ease the pain!

Many thanks.
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

My son is at Dartford Grammar. He really likes it.

I have found the school to be very helpful on the rare occasion that I have had to contact them. My son's form tutor has called me straight back and either answered my question, or got back to me later when he has found out the answer.
I can't say that I know an awful lot about the pastoral care as my son has not had to access it.

Rugby, cricket and athletics are the main sports that are taught. My son enjoys rugby and has gained a lot from being part of the team, but (after an initial 6 weeks of Saturday rugby til Oct half term) other boys are not compelled to go if they do not enjoy it.

You probably know that 2 languages are compulsory until GCSE, and that one of these will be Japanese or Chinese. My son enjoys Chinese and it's not as daunting as you might first think.

My son has also had lots of opportunities via the G&T program.

I find that the school has high expectations of the boys, and that the boys take this on board and try to reach them.

Disadvantages are that friends can live over a wide area, and so it can be difficult to meet up in the hols - and also that I generally have to pick him up from after school clubs as the buses are a bit dodgy after you miss the school bus.

As long as you manage your time well, you should be able to keep up out of school activities such as Scouts etc.
susanass

Post by susanass »

ronkevso wrote:Hello Parents

Please could you share your experiences to help us make the right decision for our dc.

Many thanks
I agree with Chimney, can you also please share your experience regarding the scores for this year! :)
You were one of the lucky ones to get these early, even though you shouldn't have. At least share! Surely you must know by now what the minimum score is if your whole school has had their results?? Especially the way mums gossip! Or you must have an idea at least. If I knew them, I would share!
Happy hamster

Post by Happy hamster »

Hiya, they're all good. Of these, dartford is probably the best regarded and gets the best results, after that, I'd probably go for bexley, because it is coed, so I could get the dd in on siblings policy (if she was deemed selective), which would be nice for concerts etc and make the whole thing easier to juggle.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi Ronkevso,

I think they are all good schools. I guess you have been to see them all? Have you worked out the logistics? Is one school easier to get to than the other?

My son goes to Dartford Grammar and he is very happy there. We are out of area, but his journey is direct and easy on the train. He also travels with friends and this is great for him. In spite of being from out of area, my son has made great friends and they often meet at Bluewater during the holidays. I think it depends on the child.

About the school itself, well, it is great. I like the fact that it is a truly international school were languages and science are very important. Dartford Grammar is one of few schools were ALL students are entered to take TWO languages at GCSE level. So, their statistics are not just great scores for the few who got entered for the exam. Many schools manipulate their results by not letting children sit exams they may either fail or not get the results they want. They are very professional, conscientious and very well organised. The teachers are excellent and treat the children well. Having said that, discipline is also enforced and at the beginning, the teachers appear to be very strict. They loosen up later!

There are lots of school clubs and the boys are encouraged to attend at least one. All clubs are free.

As well as in Beths, they test them regularly and give them grades for effort as well as attainment. Should your child's grades, behaviour or effort slip in any way, the teacher will phone you immediately! I really liked the personal touch that the headmaster reads and sings all reports. I was even more impressed to see a handwritten comment from the head to my son.

At the school they are very keen on rugby and all students in year seven must attend rugby practice on Saturdays for the first few months.

You may also know that, as well as Bexley, they do the International Baccalaureate.

We have friends at Bexley and Beths and they are very happy with the schools.

The other thing to consider is whether you'd like single sex or co-ed. Moreover, do you have any other children? If your son goes to a Bexley school, your other children would only need a pass to join the school. At Dartford, however, there is no sibling policy and if you are out of area, your other son would need to achieve a high score. This, of course, may not be an issue for you.

At the end of the day, you need to find what is best for your son. League tables and statistics do not mean anything as they do not predict how well your son will do or how happy he will be.

I don't know what else to tell you, but feel free to ask anything else. Whatever you decide, I think will be a good choice.
Ena Sharples

Post by Ena Sharples »

chimneys wrote:Its torture for the rest of us.
The Torture Never Stops - Frank Zappa

I suggest you study the data - it's all there

ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

I would definitely share if I had something to share. We live in Bexley and only 10 students from our school took the Kent test. The 11+ is a very secretive topic at our school and nobody talks about it . That is why this forum has been invaluable to me. My ds knows a few passed but don' talk about it much. He wouldn't want to ask about scores as he feels it could make him look like he was boasting.
Sorry guys.
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Thanks so much blametheparents, Salsa so happy to hear that your sons are doing well at Dartford.Thanks Happyhamster. I am starting to like idea of Dartford. I'm sure my dc would like Dartford if he gave it a try. Dc is not keen on Dartford as they do not have a football team.

Tranport wise, its quite good only about 12- 15 mins away by car. I like the idea of good discipline and high expectations. Not sure about 2 languages for GCSE though.

Blametheparents if you do not mind me asking, what type of G & T opportunities did your son benefit from?
chimneys

Post by chimneys »

ronkevso wrote:I would definitely share if I had something to share. We live in Bexley and only 10 students from our school took the Kent test. The 11+ is a very secretive topic at our school and nobody talks about it . That is why this forum has been invaluable to me. My ds knows a few passed but don' talk about it much. He wouldn't want to ask about scores as he feels it could make him look like he was boasting.
Sorry guys.
Fair play to your son for wanting to be modest.

But then spotted your post on your same thread on the Bexley and Bexley section of this forum: "So proud of my ds who scored 271 one of the top 180." Mmmmmmmmmm!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now