Could someone help, please! I do not understand

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tracy2

Could someone help, please! I do not understand

Post by Tracy2 »

Hi!
He received the letter today re: test results. I actually do not know what they mean saying that:
My child is successful but They have only 130 places and his rank is 275. and in previous year places have been allocated down to the following ranking:

2015 Down to rank 350

What is this 275 and 350 ? Could someone explain that to me, please?
Thanks Tracy2
Tolstoy

Re: Could someone help, please! I do not understand

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi Tracy,

Your DC's rank is his position in regards to the other DC who have ticked the box to share results with that school. Your DC came 275th. Although the school only has 180 places last year they were able to offer a place to the DC who was 350th in line. I therefore think your DC will get a place at the school this March if you put it on your CAF form.

Congratulations to you and DC :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tracy2 wrote:Hi!
He received the letter today re: test results. I actually do not know what they mean saying that:
My child is successful but They have only 130 places and his rank is 275. and in previous year places have been allocated down to the following ranking:

2015 Down to rank 350

What is this 275 and 350 ? Could someone explain that to me, please?
Thanks Tracy2

Welcome to the Forum - as far as I am aware the results are given as a rank ie he came 275th of all the children taking that exam. each year they have a number of places available ie 130.

Not everyone above him will have the same first choice school when they fill in the CAF at the end of the month and hence last year they were able to offer a place down to the 350th ranked child.

basically they are not guaranteeing you a place but indicating that the child in that rank last year was well within those who were offered places
Tracy2

Post by Tracy2 »

Ok- thanks a lot!

I am not English so I was not sure how to interpret these results.

Thank you again for your help!
But to be honest it is still not sure whether he will get the place there- it depends how many children will actually take this school as the first choice. My child is 275 on the list but if they have only let's say 150 places then if majority of the children will go to this school- he won't have chance. These results are a little vague for me. But it is probably my way of thinking!

Thank you
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Tracy which school is it?

In Gloucestershire some schools are more popular with parents, not necessarily any better for DC. The DP will tick for all schools in case their DC doesn't get a high enough score for their preferred school. This is why they end up moving down the ranks fairly quickly. Your DS is in a strong position to get a place going on last years ranks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tracy2, Tolstoy is quite right - the offers do move down the ranks fairly quickly. A great many of the kids will have opted to share their results with other schools and will be high in their ranks too - remember each child can only go to one school!
If you want him to go there, then you need to put it first on the CAF
Tracy2

Post by Tracy2 »

Yes- we know that- it has to be firs choice!
My son is actually a little bit scared of leaving all the friends - since they go to St Peters High School. This is his the only concern. Any advise ? Is Crypt actually good in terms of atmosphere. I know they are good in terms of achievements and teaching but what about the other aspects? My son is quite shy so he is afraid he will not have any friends. This transitions can be really stressful for kids.
Thank you for any advise!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Okay now I know which school I can be more help. Friends DS went there and were very happy and I know others who have opted for it despite getting high enough scores for Pates and STRs because of location and the ethos.

So there will be people from Cheltenham who will have ticked for Crypt as a back-up but if they get a high score will go to Pates. Sir Thomas Riches is also historically harder to get into so some will have ticked Crypt as back up but chose to go there.

Also some on the Stroud borders will opt for Marling Grammar as it is closer and they may prefer it.

To sum up your DS has passed and it is a good school and highly likely that in March on offers day he will get offered a place there.

My youngest is shy and had to start at a new school last year without his brother for the first time. He loves it. I am sure your boy will be fine once he gets there too.

:D
Tracy2

Post by Tracy2 »

Thank you Lev!
That is a good news. My boy is just reading this with me and I think you encouraged him a little bit!
Thank you again
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Remind him that at this transition point, everyone is a little shy and scared about moving on to new schools with few, if any, of their old friends. Secondary schools are usually very good at managing this transition and do lots of things that weren't available when you or I were at school. He will have some days in the summer term of Y6 where he goes and meets his new school friends and they are usually "kinder" to the new Y7s (giving them early lunches, herding them around a bit and sometimes having older boys helping as sort of mentors). Some schools actively split up boys from the same primary schools (I think this is a good thing as it means every boy is on a level playing field), others keep them together so they know one or two others. He may find he does know someone from his primary - and even if they weren't best friends there, they may offer each other support.

Also remind him that he has one whole year before he has to face this - and you and he will find he grows up an awful lot over the course of Y6.

Good luck