Floyd / AGS ??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tops15

Floyd / AGS ??

Post by Tops15 »

My first post, twin boys took the 11 + last week (fingers crossed for them). Our catchment schools are Floyd and AGS. Trouble being we loved different aspects of both.
So really looking for help with pros and cons of these two schools. Especially interested in sport mainly rugby !
Thanks in advance.
southbucks3

Re: Floyd / AGS ??

Post by southbucks3 »

Tops15 wrote:My first post, twin boys took the 11 + last week (fingers crossed for them). Our catchment schools are Floyd and AGS. Trouble being we loved different aspects of both.
So really looking for help with pros and cons of these two schools. Especially interested in sport mainly rugby !
Thanks in advance.

AGS for great rugby and basketball, that's all I can contribute sorry.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I have a daughter at Floyd and a son who has just started at AGS.

I would say Floyd provides much more scope for individualism and quirky characters (in my opinion). Music & Performing arts are fantastic - the concerts would blow you away! My daughter absolutely loves it there (I had an older daughter who did sixth form at Floyd and she also loved it).

AGS - we chose this for the sports and we thought he would benefit from people just teaching boys so all lessons are aimed at them. He struggled sometimes in lessons at Primary school with the types of things that girls loved writing about/doing.

Fingers crossed we got it right!
Rags

Post by Rags »

I two sons, one just lefts AGS, the other in yr12 .... I know students who went through the SHFGS ....

So ... they're both good Schools, no question. In league table Terms, yes, AGS gets measurably (although marginally, all things considered) higher results - but that's not necessarily either the most important thing for your child, or even going to apply to your child.

From what I've seen, you need to be a fairly resilient character to cope at AGS, and if you're not, it can crush you. Less of that in SHFGS.

It's entirely possible for someone to poorly academically at AGS, and to do stunningly well at SHFGS - and vice-versa.

You need to decide based on what's best for the child. Sadly, it's almost impossible to be able to judge in advance - at least we found it so.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now