Type U questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Type U questions

Post by Marylou »

Hi - just started working with number 2 for the test this October!

I've come across what seems to be a new version of Type U questions. The IPS book only covers the type in which the first letter in the first pair is related to the first letter in the second pair, and the second letter in the first pair to the second letter in the second pair - e.g. AB is to DF (A to D is plus 3 and B to F is plus four, so you apply this rule to the letters you are given.)

However we were stumped by a similar question, found elsewhere, in which the pattern is dictated by the symmetrical position of the letters, eg AB to ZY, in which the answer to CD would be XW. Does anyone know if this form of the question actually comes up in the Bucks test? I've always regarded IPS as fairly reliable in this area and don't want to burden the poor child with yet another trick of the trade!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Marylou

These are mirror images, can be used for code type C too.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

M and N become the mirror.

AB to ZY, in which the answer to CD would be XW.

A is the mirror of Z, so C is the mirror of X

B is the mirror of Y, so D id the mirror of W

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Many thanks for your reply, Patricia! Now we'll know that we should look out for that version of the question. And there I was thinking how easy the type U's were compared to the other questions - clearly a case of too good to be true! :wink:

I might drop a line to the IPS authors/publishers to mention it to them, as the otherwise excellent IPS book makes no reference at all to this version of the question under Type U. I can't find examples in the practice papers either. Having said that, my edition of the book is dated 2003 so the information might have been updated since then.

Best regards and thanks again for your help.
fm

type u

Post by fm »

This is fairly much a 'one-off' type. The only other place I've seen it is NFER 11c question 43, and I've never had any of my students get it right yet!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear FM

These mirror image codes do appear in the real NFER tests, not many, ususlly the odd one.

I teach all my students how to recognise these types, by 'playing' with the alphabet [fridge magnets] They begin to recognise most mirror pairs.

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I knew those old magnetic letters would come in handy again one day... :lol:
Marylou

Mirror images again...

Post by Marylou »

Hi Patricia (or anyone else who might know the answer :) )

I've just come across some examples (not NFER) of mirror image codes used in Type C questions. Have you ever seen this approach used in Type C or only in Type U questions? Again, this version is not covered in the IPS book but dd is on the lookout for them and is learning the mirror-image pairs just in case.

Any advice appreciated, as always!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Marylou

Mirror image codes are used by Nfer for type C. A few other publishers use them too. IPS have included this type in their 30 minute tests.

Keep playing with those magnetic letters! Start learning mirror pairs.

The following link may be of some use.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4032

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Many thanks, Patricia! We'll certainly be on the lookout for those.

Louise
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Marylou

Once I know this type is about to turn up in tests, I start making my children look at the 1st letter of the code and word, if they are mirror images, they MUST quickly check if there is another miror image [ the first could have been a coincidence] Then off they go using the symmetry/mirror method...

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now