Reh

Advice needed for borderline

Post by Reh »

Hi everyone,

Need desperate advice, received my daughters results:
Eng 26/60
Maths 43/60
St. score 301.49

She was achieving high marks in all mocks, we are shocked as the English result was so bad. This is her strongest area, her marks have always been 80% or more in this area.
The school has said they do a clerical check and that is all. My question is what can we do if the school/csse are refusing to remark.
Its so close to the pass mark and just one or two more marks on the English may bring her over the 303.

Thanks
Stressed.mum

Re: Advice needed for borderline

Post by Stressed.mum »

Reh wrote:Hi everyone,

Eng 26/60
Maths 43/60
St. score 301.49

She was achieving high marks in all mocks, we are shocked as the English result was so bad. This is her strongest area, her marks have always been 80% or more in this area.
The school has said they do a clerical check and that is all. My question is what can we do if the school/csse are refusing to remark.
Its so close to the pass mark and just one or two more marks on the English may bring her over the 303.

Thanks
Which school are you hoping for?
Reh

Post by Reh »

WHSG was my first choice as I live almost next door, but I think that's unlikely since we are no where near previous years cut off, so hoping for SHSG
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

If the score is that close and you are in catchment for southend grammar, it is worth asking for a remark of the papers, 1 or 2 raw marks can push up the resulting standardised score.

You have nothing to lose for asking. Good luck!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Reh wrote:WHSG was my first choice as I live almost next door, but I think that's unlikely since we are no where near previous years cut off, so hoping for SHSG
I can't remember a year when WHSG has been oversubscribed in-catchment - unless there was a huge increase in the number of IC girls passing this year, your DD would just need 303, the same as for SHSG.

You can still put Westcliff and / or Southend on your CAF (just tick 'yes' where it says,'I believe my child can pass the entrance test', if that Is still on it). I'm March, your application will be rejected, but at that point you are able to appeal for a place. You can also put your DD's name on the continuing interest list (for SHSG this used to be done by making an 'In year' application via Southend Borough Council; not sure whether you still do it this way, or what the system is for Westcliff, I'm afraid). Then, if girls leave the relevant year group after a certain point in the year, your DD and the others on the list will be invited to sit an entrance test. Admittedly, there's no guarantee with either the appeals process or the in year application route, but my DD is one of a handful in her year at Southend who gained a place through an in-year exam.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

Ask for a check of scores as schools mark papers themselves. Just one more mark and your on 303 :-). You can always appeal later.
Tiredpigeon

Post by Tiredpigeon »

We are in the same boat and I would really appreciate some advice- my DD scored 302.991. We are in catchment for WHSG. Is it worth applying or will it be a definite no as it's below the the 303? Thanks so much for any advice.
Mci

Post by Mci »

Has anyone applied for a clerical check and got a positive answer, please?

My DD's score in English was only 22 which really amazes us and I want to ask for remark.

Thank you!
Tiredpigeon

Post by Tiredpigeon »

Reh wrote:Hi everyone,

Eng 26/60
Maths 43/60
St. score 301.49

Thanks
We are going through the same, DD got 302.991!! We have been told that because it was so close, it will have been marked twice already. You can request a third re mark though. It feels awful to have come so close :(
Mci

Post by Mci »

Hi Tiredpigeon,

How can you request for a third remarking please?
I have called them and they said they only do clerical checks as the papers have been marked twice already....