Is it safe to ask for feedback on Reading Boys and Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Optimist

Is it safe to ask for feedback on Reading Boys and Kendrick

Post by Optimist »

Hi

Am I right in guessing that all prospective pupils have sat the deferral paper last weekend. If so, are forum members now in a position to feedback on the Reading Boys and Kendrick 11+ exams.

In Reading Boys, what was the format of all papers. Was it same as before. Was it VR or NVR this time?
Kendrick mum

Is it safe to post on Kendrick and Reading Boys

Post by Kendrick mum »

Dear Optimist

The Kendrick girl's entrance exam has already taken place but Reading Boys is scheduled for Friday 1st Feb.

Regards KM?

:)
Kendrick mum

Kendrick exam 2007

Post by Kendrick mum »

Hi Optimist
My dd took the exam last November, the following recollections maybe a bit fuzzy as she did quite a few exams in a short amount of time. She did feel that the exams were easier than the slough consortium and slough grammar exams and she did feel she had plenty of time to finish the papers( something I worried about as a lot of girls we knew all seemed to complain about lack of time and not being able to finish the paper).

VR- My dd thinks there were 100 questions in 50 minutes
recalls the type (6 Ques) 20 (40) 60 12 ( ? ) 36
2q easy 2q med 2q v hard
all the others seemed very similar to what was in practice papers

NVR- My dd thought there were 5 timed sections- codes, similarities, matrices analogies and series. She seemed to think there were 12 questions in 10 mins for all sections except similarites 14 ques in 9 mins. I know that Ella's dd recalled this quite differently, so we may have it quite wrong. Anybody else with further input may help.

HTH

Kendrick mum?
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi KM?

Regarding the Kendrick VR, yes I agree, it was 100 qs in 50 mins. If I get time, I will try and recall the types my DD can remember being IN the the test and NOT being in the test.

Regarding the NON-VR - as you know, my DD has a completely different recollection :shock: :shock:

She says there were 4 timed sections. Three sections were 19 qs in 10 mins and one section was 18 qs in 9 mins. Therefore, a total of 75 qs in 39 mins. The first section was definitely Codes (the easiest) and the last section was definitely Matrices (the hardest). My DD says that lots of girls did not finish the last section - fortunately, DD did finish but she is not massively confident about her answers. :roll:

I wonder whether the afternoon sitting had a different test??? If not, I'm getting a bit worried that DD has missed a whole section (Not possible, surely?).

If there are any more Kendrick-hopeful forum Readers out there who can add their insight, I'd be most grateful!

More thoughts later hopefully......

Ella

PS - DD felt that both VR and NON-VR were about the same level of difficulty as the NFER practice papers - KM? would you agree?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Km? & Ella,

Many thanks for the most detailed feedback on Kendrick to date, would also welcome feedback from any one else with experience. When you have time could you recommend books or papers? Being standard VR gives a wider range of possible question types?

Best wishes for March. :)

stevew61
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi

Any feedback from DS's who have undertaken the Reading Boys School exam. Also, what are the best textbooks to recommend for this 11+ exam.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

RG Info......(well what DS could remember)

Reasoning paper was - Abstract (that's NVR to us normal folks :wink: ) No Codes unfortunately this year.. (My son's favorite). Stop/start mini tests, with 5 minute breaks in between each. Similar to NFER style and format.

English written question... write about 'A Special Place you Remember' they are given time to make a plan to help them. A much easier question to answer, than some I've heard of before!

English test consisted of mini comprehensions and mini grammar and punctuation tests.

Maths..SATS level KS2. Nothing that had not been covered at home(or school), my son finished this paper in 35mins :shock:, so had plenty of time to go back and check for errors. 1st question on paper was '7x6=?' :shock: , things like a function machine, number sequences and find the perimeter.

HTH

:D

BW
dede

Kendrick 2008 test

Post by dede »

Here is some info from my daughter about the Kendrick exam:

She took the test in the afternoon. They started with VR. There were about 100 questions. She remembers the time limit as 50 minutes.

She said the following standard NFER types did not come up:
- Missing 3 letters
- Code/meaning
- Calculations with letters (e.g. A + B x C)

However, she remembers the following non-standard NFER types came up:
- Finding the middle when ordered in size, sequence or position
- Placing the right numbers in an arithmetic equation
- Crossworld puzzle (only 1 question)
- Which letter appears in XXXXX and earliest in alphabet?

In addition, she remembers the following standard NFER types from the exam:
- Moving 1 letter from 1 word to another
- 2 words different from the rest (5 in total)
- AB is to CD as EG is to ( )
- 2 words closest in meaning, 1 from each set
- A word of 4 letters hidden in 2 words next to each other
- Missing word in brackets (e.g. man (no) old , era (at) tie )

In the NVR test, there were 4 sections with about 19 questions in each. She thinks there were 75 questions in total. The section durations were 9 and 10 minutes depending on the sections.

The first section was about codes.
Sections 2 and 3 were of the following types:
- Make a pair with the same relation (e.g. A -> B : C -> ?)
- Which shape on the right is most similar to the shapes on the left?
Section 4 was with the 2x2 or 3x3 matrices with a shape missing in one of the boxes.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thankyou and Welcome to the forum Dede!!!

What a great start. News on Kendrick has always been scarce but this year the balance has been well addressed!! (as always, though, on the look out for any other thoughts :wink: )

Thanks also to KM, and Ella :D

I'm sure there are lots that will benefit from your experience!

:D

BW
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi dede and welcome!

According to my dd, your information is spot on (your dd must have a great memory!).

In addition to your observations, my dd says that in the Verbal test:-

- Number Series did not appear
- Word Number Codes (3 out of 4 words given a code) DID appear
- Reading Information (type K) DID appear
- Word Letter Codes (the tricky, time-consuming long codes) did not appear

To KM?, regarding the confusion over the NVR; I can only think that your dd must have been getting confused with another test as I know she took several around the same time. So, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Ella