any idea?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
candyfloss

any idea?

Post by candyfloss »

hi all,
i know we will get the results by the 5th of march, but does anyone know when the primary schools get the results for the 11+?
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi,

I can't give a firm date, however I can remember thinking back to an end of term parent and teacher appointment and realising that my child's class teacher must have known the result at that time. Centainly in Torbay there is at least one school which after the results are known, writes to head teachers for their assessment of bordeline children.
The head teachers have an opportunity to appeal on the child's behaldf if they feel it appropriate. Bearing in mind that this process must take a minimum of a couple of weeks - one might assume that schools know the results in February?

Hope that helps.
Katie
candyfloss

Post by candyfloss »

thanks katie :)
Blossom

Post by Blossom »

I work in a primary school in Plymouth and for the last few years we have received the whole year 6 secondary school allocation about a couple of days before the letters are posted out to parents on the 1st March. There is no breakdown of children taking the eleven plus just a list of what schools the children are allocated to. (hopefully the ones of their choice!).
As to children not passing/or not passing highly enough that is a different procedure (appeal) as I know in the past if someone has taken and not passed the eleven plus they have then been allocated their next choice of school. Our school has never been asked about the child's academic record until the appeal starts. This is the Plymouth Local Authority routine, I don't know about other areas.
Hope this helps. :)
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi again,

Just realised that I didn't make quite clear in my previous post.....the Head Teachers are approached for their assessment of borderline children before the school makes it's decision about who is allocated a place.
This poses several problems for children:
a) Your head teacher may not realise that the school have expectations about the content of their letter of recommendation.
The primary school our child attended does not esupport the selction procedure per se (Some schools in Torbay do - and offer extra help for children entering the selection tests).
Equally - these schools who do support the selection process are well versed in what is expected at what is called "review" stage - when borderline children's admissions are being decided upon.
Head Teachers of schools who have an awareness of the expected content or level of support in their recommendation letter offer a great advantage to children in their school giving them a much better chance than those not familiar.
Rather naively - we had no idea about any of this when our child was going through transition. Having this knowledge would definitely have made a difference to the out come for our family.
The admissions governor for the school we applied for is simultaneously the Chair of Governors at the nearest feeder school. No doubt this made a difference to pupils from this primary school at the review stage! You live and learn.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now