Passed Bexley and Kent - why is Kent seen as second best?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Seraphine

Passed Bexley and Kent - why is Kent seen as second best?

Post by Seraphine »

This seems to be the overriding opinion from most people I speak to. When they hear my daughter passed both yet our preference is for WGGS, they are surprised.

Why do you think this is? Am I reading the school info incorrectly, WGGS seems to hold its own against the Bexley schools.
MerlinFromCamelot

Re: Passed Bexley and Kent - why is Kent seen as second best

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Mine have chosen a Bexley school because it made sense. We are in Bexley close to the school we liked the most.

We only entered both DDs in the Kent test because A) It sort of was a free mock so they could experience the exam environment B) In case it went wrong on the day of the Bexley test. (a bad day on the day.. you never know).

We did not look at Kent schools because the Bexley result came first and it was what we needed to get in to a local good school DDs liked. WGGS is not one we would look at because from where we live it is a pain in the bum to get there. I’m not sure what the school is like to commute to from other neighbouring areas but it is a little in the middle of nowhere so there may not be many bus routes.

Both Dartford boys and girls GS' seem very popular. Last year I know of boys in my area who put St Olaves down second choice after Dartford boys. Trouble is that with Kent schools one has to be realistic in terms of chances to get in to them if you are ooc because the admissions criteria.

In all fairness it does not really matter what other people think about WGS if your DD likes it and it works for your family than that is all that matters. I sometimes get the impression that people go for certain schools because they feel it sounds impressive to friends, family, neighbours etc... and it is the is in THE BEST school according to the statistics, the grapevine etc… It think it is sometimes worth stepping back and see what the child’s preference is. They will be going there.. not you, or your neighbours, family, friends etc.. If they are happy they will do well.
Seraphine

Post by Seraphine »

Thank you Merlin, your last para resonates with me. DD could get into Dartford, all things being equal with scores, being OOB etc. But, I think she'd be happier going to WGGS. And ultimately, that is what is important.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

A similar percentage are classed as suitable for Grammar and both have the 'pass' scenario. Kent however has the superselectives which are highly sought after and so takes a bit of the gloss (unfairly) off the schools which just require a pass. I hadn't heard that one area was considered better than the other but know parents who have chosen in each area and each time it has been down to best fit. I do however have many friends who've sat the three local tests of Bexley, Kent and Bromley and they either seem to pass all three or only Kent thus giving it the appearance as the 'easier' test (although DD found it the hardest).
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Hi Seraphine, I was in exactly the same position as you last year, albeit with a DS, not a DC. My son chose with his heart (WGSB), we naturally supported him and it was the best decision we made. He's only a few weeks in, he loves it and I truly believe it's the right school for him. Not sure where this "snobbery" (please forum members don't shout at me for using this word!!!) comes from, but it is there, possibly like Pettswoodfiona said, because it's nearest grammar rival is a Superselective, which on visiting, my son felt that he was "very different" (his words not mine!!) from the boys that went there. Bexley doesn't have superselectives the schools are looked at in the same regard, it just comes down to preference. If the Wilmington schools were 2 miles over in Bexley, I'm sure they would be looked at the same as the Bexley schools. If it makes you feel slightly more reassured, 8 (I think) girls in my DS's year chose Wilmington girls last year, despite having a pass in both boroughs - it was the most popular girl's choice at this primary out of all the Bexley and Kent grammars.

Good luck in making your decision, I'm sure you'll make the right one and your dd with thrive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now