Tutoring for independent

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kanye

Tutoring for independent

Post by kanye »

Do you need an external tutor for 'highly selective' independent school entrance exams? Can they really be tutored by parents, (who are not teachers)? Are we wasting our time without a proper tutor? Child is not at prep school.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Tutoring for independent

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Depends on the school and area. DD's independent selective school is highly over subscribed but suffers from being in q grammar region where those who are on the prep and pass the elements plus may or may not move onto a grammar. DD got into grammars with minimal prep but those from state grammars are sometimes at an advantage as they are so self motivated they will so well without a tutor and others who need that extra push - some of whom will get the desired result, others who will not. From observation you tend to know the chances prior to tutoring so it is hard to tell of it makes a difference or not.
kanye

Post by kanye »

PettswoodFiona wrote:those from state grammars are sometimes at an advantage as they are so self motivated they will so well without a tutor
Am not sure what this means - I am meaning taking the entrance exams at aged 10 or 11 years, so they couldn't have been to grammar school yet? Are you suggesting some 10 year olds are so motivated they can pass these even without a parental tutor?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools are you talking about?

You can tutor your dc for any exam but you need the time and the expertise. DG
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Have a look at the sample papers for your school on their website and for other independent schools. Are you comfortable with teaching your DC all of the content? I know I could not do all of the maths, but felt more at home with English.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now