120 Outside Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
out of county dad

120 Outside Bucks

Post by out of county dad »

Hi - I really wish I came across this site earlier - I think its great.

Would appreciate any advice on my child's appeal. Bit of background we live in Northants and he goes to school in Oxfordshire (complicated I know) I'd like him to go to grammar school as I firmly believe he would be academically suitable. We put him in for the 11+ and he just missed with 120.

The school head supports our appeal, although they don't work towards 11+ exams. He is top of class in Maths and Science and in top 25% English. Is predicted 5's in all KS (5a Maths and Science) and in fact was achieving this in year 5. We don't have any CATs(?) or any OOS as it's an Oxon school. He scored well in mock 11+'s at home and we expected a pass.

We really don't have any mitigating circumstances just nerves I guess. His other paper scored 112 - not great I know but interestingly he came out feeling the 2nd paper (120) was more mathematical and he knew he had done better on that. I've seen a few posts that Buck VR 11+ don''t really suit the more mathematically biased children - is this something worth pursuing in the appeal.

Also does being out of Bucks put us at a big disadvantage?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Where you live is irrelevant to an appeal - however you need to be close enough to RLS to get in if your selection appeal is successful.

The panel will consider whether 112 or 120 is a better indication of ability so the NC levels are key. Have you got examples of his work you can take? Yes the Bucks 11+ does not reflect Maths/Science ability well so you could say the questions in one paper suited him better.
Etienne

Re: 120 Outside Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Hello

Yes, don't attack the system as such, but I think it's perfectly fair to point out gently that an 11+ focused on VR may not reflect your son's real academic strengths (especially if you have hard evidence that he is stronger at Maths).

As far as a selection appeal is concerned, you will be treated on the same basis as a Bucks appellant.

Good luck
Etienne
out of county dad

Wow - thanks for the quick replies

Yes I will bring examples of work (already included his year 5 report with the appeal form)

It is RLS we were aiming for - were within distance last year - but of course that may change this year - here's keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

out of county dad wrote:Wow - thanks for the quick replies
There seems to be a whole fleet of us here this afternoon!

Time for a cup of tea, methinks. :D
out of county dad

Thanks

Just thought I'd let you know we were succesful at Appeal :D

Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum, particular thanks to Etienne and Sally Anne - a really wonderful site, so glad I happened across it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Delighted to hear this.

Congratulations!
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news! Fingers crossed for RLS - as you know they are way over PAN on first preferences so hope you get a place -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Well done to you OoC Dad :D

Although 120 is a good score, it is still not a guarantee of success.

I hope you get the place at RLS you are looking for. It is a little more popular this year than last, but if you don't get a place on first allocation you can consider a transfer appeal. (Gosh, I bet you really want to know that right now! :roll: )

However, I hear that there is often a fair bit of movement on places at RLS after the first allocation, so don't despair - the waiting list may produce results over the following few weeks.

Sally-Anne
out of county dad

Thanks all

and good luck to all those still going through the process