Recommended books for Verbal reasoning for ILFORD County

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KP

Recommended books for Verbal reasoning for ILFORD County

Post by KP »

Hi, I am totally new to this forum. I have gone through the site and have gained immense information on 11+ exams and it's activities. My son will appear the 11+ for ILFORD county high school in the Redbridge area in year 2009. I wanted to know from this forum if someone could help decide which books/authors(NFER,Susan etc) to buy which will help. Any ideas,pointers etc will be highly appreciated.

Additioanlly if you could also let us know if ILFORD county tests have 15 types of verbal reasoning or 21 types.

I have read in some posts in this forum that they have the exams on two weekends. Can any one explain why?

Regards
KP
shah

Post by shah »

hi KP
yes this forum is wonderful and there are some great downloads on under TIPS that is very useful.
i used the Tutors CD's to help prepare for the VR. My daughter found them to be a welcome break from papers.
i also found the AE books to be great, especially if you are planning to do the prep yourself.

the tests are run on 2 weekends for both Ilford and Woodford County
1st being NVR Dec and 2nd VR in jan.
they would go in around 9ish and do a practice paper, then they are marked and discussed, have a break (take some chocolate) then the actual paper. So to avoid a very long tiring day, they break it up.
the tests are held in primary schools in the borough on either a saturday or a sunday.

hope this helps, feel free to pm me
good luck
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

for woodford county high school the VB is it multiple choice or standard - i noticed i can buy two sets of papers from the bookshop Mc and standard

thanks in advance
sukhilidher
muffinmonster

Woodford County High VR

Post by muffinmonster »

The papers for both verbal and non-verbal reasoning are multiple choice. Best of luck!
dandy

Post by dandy »

I would also like to know whether the Woodford County High tests have 15 types of verbal reasoning or 21 types and what they are please.
KP

Post by KP »

For NVR, as far as I am aware Redbridge have only concentrated on Analogies, similarities, codes and series for NVR for the last five years. This is what I have been told by tutors and school.

My DS took the NVR exams on 12/12/2009 and there were only four timed sections as mentioned above. 75 questions in 39 min.***** However, we did prepare to be on the safer side.

VR Exam is on 9/01/2010. I think one should be prepared for all the types. Redbridge is more english based. Hence, sound knowledge of vocabulary is very important. I will post more in detail once the exams gets over.

English based question types:
  • Hidden Word
    Move a letter
    Odd one out
    Opposite
    Compound word
    missing three letter word
    Similar meanings
    Word Analogy
    Same letter for two sets of word
The above is completey based on english vocabulary. Hence, it is highly recommended that one should read lots of clasic books. This not only helps to build the vocabulary it will also help if one is taking the KEGS exams.

Apart from the above you will also have questions that based on technique:
These are the ones where one can master because it's based on certain technique.
  • Codes
    Letter Analogy
    Letter series
    Number series
    Maths
    Descriptive questions (For example age, train time etc)
Exam content removed by a moderator
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Although I do not tutor for Essex looking at the question types KP has offered they include some of the HIKNOS questions, therefore it is fair to assume you need to cover the full compliment of 21 types.

KP, where has your list come from? Are these questions definitely used?

To those who are not aware, Nfer Verbal Reasoning tests can be 15 or 21 types. Shop bought Nfer papers only contain 15 types, the other 6 are made up of HIKNOS as identified by the publisher IPS.

Relevant papers for the 21 types are: IPS, The Tutors,Susan Daughtrey [only the packs that come in 4 tests formerly known as Bright Sparks] Walsh and Madeleine Guyon.

Patricia

BTW its the odd 2 out not one...
patricia

Post by patricia »

Does anyone know whether the same test is used for late testers, those ill on the day of the test and moving into the area?

If it is the same, then discussion on the actual types of questions appearing in the real test cannot be posted.

Patricia
KP

Post by KP »

Hi Patricia,

Well spotted, it's odd two one out. What I was trying to stress is very generic for doing preparations. I did not want to map each type.

All what I have mentioned is from the books available from the shops(NFER test papers, Athey, Bright Sparks, Tutors e-Papers, BOND test papers, Walsh etc).

Redbridge do not say anywhere on their booklet as to how many types will come in the exams. Hence, the safer will be to prepare for all the types.However, they do say it is one of difficult exams in the country.

I also agree with Patricia that we should not be discussing any types or questions on this forum after the exams as no one knows if they will be using the same paper or not.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear KP

Do you know who are the publishers for the real test?

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now