Independent school Exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shanewarne

Independent school Exams

Post by shanewarne »

Hi All

Are the Independent School exam scores like MT and Habs age standardised like the grammar schools? I reckon they are but not sure?.

Thanks
Ladymuck

Re: Independent school Exams

Post by Ladymuck »

Not always, and sometimes down by which quarter they are born in rather than by months (usually a much smaller population sitting).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I dont think they are. I have never heard it mentioned. DAO don't standardise their English and Maths and I dont think Habs, MT , St Albans and NLCS do either.
shanewarne

Post by shanewarne »

Thanks for your replies DG and Ladymuck x
will update in case I get further info

Cheers
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Indies tend to use interviews as a form of standardization(as well as weeding out over prepped children), all canditates are expected to reach a min standard of prior attainment, they don't have the time or inclination to bring pupils up to speed.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I don't know about MT and Habs, but overheard Head of Whitgift lower school say to a parent during an open evening that they didn't necessarily select the boys in order of the exam results as interviews played a big role in the selection process. He said they were looking for boys who showed potential, not necessarily the top scorers. I don't know whether other independent schools take a similar approach, but it may be worth contacting Admissions at your relevant schools and asking about their criteria.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I asked this question on open days as my DS is summer born and the difference in English to his autumn born sister quite obvious. They don't standardise the marks but they do take account of age school and interview, that is the benefit of the independent process, it's a bit more flexible.
AML

Post by AML »

Fairy elephant-- ditto, told the same thing when I asked at HABS/MT
shanewarne

Post by shanewarne »

Thanks all for your replies.
Am told the private schools don't reveal the test scores. they just inform you whether or not your DS has been selected for an interview.
Cheers
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

shanewarne wrote:Thanks all for your replies.
Am told the private schools don't reveal the test scores. they just inform you whether or not your DS has been selected for an interview.
Cheers
Yes, I think that tends to be the case. Some state grammars don't reveal the scores either, as they want the children to start on an equal footing come September.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now