Should we commute?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
happymom1

Should we commute?

Post by happymom1 »

Hi. Being I in a self created dilemma about which school to choose. Dd scored enough for chg but it's quite far away from where we live. ..almost 45 minutes journey each leg. Sutton girls is close like 10 minutes. Before we planned for Sutton girls but now I am thinking maybe i am doing some mean thing to my dd for not taking her there and being scared of commute. She is fine with either. Has no specific choice. Can anyone shed any light. Is there a big difference between both school's outcome. Are girls happier in chg. Suggestions please
booellesmum

Re: Should we commute?

Post by booellesmum »

I know nothing about CHG but I did go to SCGSG and both DDs are there. They are very happy with their choice. Whenever I go the girls there seem happy, and there is a great pastoral system if there are any problems. I don't know how results compare but SCGSG always seem to do very well when the results are published.
Could you have a last minute visit to each school to help you decide? At the end of the day go with where you think your DD would be happiest.
Last edited by booellesmum on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
um

Post by um »

That is a long commute through 7 years and 7 winters and dark evenings.
If you have the choice (as you do) and can avoid it then personally as a parent that's what I'd do.
SCGS is an excellent school and your dd will have more time to rest and complete homework and revision.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

um wrote:That is a long commute through 7 years and 7 winters and dark evenings.
If you have the choice (as you do) and can avoid it then personally as a parent that's what I'd do.
SCGS is an excellent school and your dd will have more time to rest and complete homework and revision.
On a personal level I totally agree. I never considered the KE schools because we live in Sutton. I put SCGSG first and our local comp 2nd as I didn't want them travelling. It was very helpful today when DD2 forgot to take her science project to school that my mother in law could just nip in with it! The office were apparently brilliant this morning when she was upset. They found nans number,called her and let DD2 speak to her.
It is also much easier for me to get to after work on parents evenings!!!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I know nothing of these two schools, but would assume they are both very good.

This being the case, I would choose the closer one.

My DS commutes to FW. During years 7 & 8 the journey was approx 40-45 mins each way and it took him a long time to get used to it.

They've changed the route this year, which has made the journey approx 10-15 minutes shorter each way, which is much better and means he gets more time at home.

He likes the bus now and enjoys chatting to his friends.

However, during the summer the journey doesn't seem to bad, but on a cold, dark & wet wintry evening the journey is not so pleasant.

This is why I'd go for the closest.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

I say don't commute.
A 45 min journey can turn into almost two hours if buses are full or late.
Yes they get used to it, but nearer is better especially if they do out of school clubs near home, then they won't be late and will have more flexibility to do more of them.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Another point is don't think because the cut off score is higher it is a much better school. There may well be just as many girls at Sutton with those high scores, the score only tells you the last one in! The mother of one of DDs friends was very keen to point out that her DD got high enough points to choose any of the grammars, but chose Sutton as they liked it better.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1 booellesmum

A high cut off indicates a variety of things: perception that it is a better school; location (if school is in a higher populated area); perceived popularity; bunched scores can sway the cut off...but this does not necessarily mean that it is the "best" school in the area, for your child.

Always choose the school that is a better fit for your child. Rarely, when comparing between good Grammar Schools, does it make sense to add a high commute into your day, especially if you actually want your child to embrace all elements of school life, not just focus on academic, academic, academic.

Schools are so much more than just academic study - and part of the appeal of most of these GS is the "other half" that they offer, which, ironically, then gets ignored by so many parents who assume that just because their child has "qualified" for a higher cut off score school, means they must go there!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Having "commutes" as a teenager, I would also vote for going to the local school - particularly a it is one so many are recommending
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi, we too live in north Birmingham and decided not to even look at camp hill or five ways. I did for a split second think shall I look just in case he got a very high score but then dismissed it straight away.
Yes there is a bus that leaves very close to home at 6.50am but that is a long journey every day. There are some very good grammars a lot closer than there.
Is there really that much difference in exam results? There are so many better things that she could be doing than sat on a bus. Also friendship groups are important. She can easily meet up with many friends locally and you will find it easier to be actively involved in the school community.
I personally cannot see why someone would choose such a large commute when a fantastic option is on the doorstep. to be honest I wouldn't do at 6.50am commute even if I didn't have a fantastic option on my doorstep. If you like the feel of scgsg then I would be very happy with that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now