What to do now???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinytoes

What to do now???

Post by Tinytoes »

Hi everyone,

Just discovered this site after 'googling' this afternoon so apologies if this post is in the wrong place (newbie and all that...) Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice? My DD scored 211 in KE which has sent us into somewhat of a panic as she is absolutely distraught at the thought of not gaining a place at SCGSG. We haven't got a particularly fantastic choice of comps locally so we're just trying to figure out what the chances are of her gaining a place off the waiting list?? (We're not eligible for PP) :?
Any words of wisdom kindly appreciated!
booellesmum

Re: What to do now???

Post by booellesmum »

Hiya, put it down as your first choice but have a good back up plan. My DD got 213 last year and got in end of July. It was down to 212 by September BUT previous years have had lower cut offs so you have nothing to lose by trying. Good luck.
Tinytoes

Post by Tinytoes »

Thanks for the info, such a stressful time and i've got a feeling we're in for an epic wait with no guarantees either! :cry:
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I feel for you, such a stressful time. When my DD1 got in 4 years ago the cut off on offers day was 210 and would have gone lower than that later. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Casey0507

Post by Casey0507 »

Tinytoes wrote:Hi everyone,

Just discovered this site after 'googling' this afternoon so apologies if this post is in the wrong place (newbie and all that...) Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice? My DD scored 211 in KE which has sent us into somewhat of a panic as she is absolutely distraught at the thought of not gaining a place at SCGSG. We haven't got a particularly fantastic choice of comps locally so we're just trying to figure out what the chances are of her gaining a place off the waiting list?? (We're not eligible for PP) :?
Any words of wisdom kindly appreciated!
I'd put it down, you have nothing to lose. This year is a lower birth rate year so I'm hoping, (my daughter is borderline too) that there will be lots of offers!

Good luck and we'll done to your DD X
Tinytoes

Post by Tinytoes »

Thanks Casey0507, I'm definitely putting it down aswell, stranger things have happened! All the very best to your DD too!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Hi, excuse my ignorance. Does the letter you get from the council stating which school you have been allocated detail where you are on the waiting lists? For example, if DS doesn't get a GS place and gets a comp school, will the letter say he is 20th on list for BV and 15th on list for HB? Is there an update each time you move up the waiting list? When do you have to accept the comp place by?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The letter clearly tells you what date you have to accept the (in your e.g.) comp school by (and you absolutely SHOULD accept, otherwise you run the risk of having no school allocated to you).

I believe it asks you to confirm you want to remain on waiting lists of any school you listed as a higher preference - they won't tell you on paper where you are on the waiting list as a) after March 1st, the next criteria of people (usually out of catchment) are then eligible for offers, so that would effectively could shove you down the waiting list straight away and b) the movements can be so quick (both up and down) that it would be out of date the minute they printed it. Usually you will see on here people contacting the FO and providing information of their score and where they are on the w/l so you can make a judgement as to where you are, or contact the FO yourself.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Ok, thanks. Reading the previous post I had no idea it could take until July. Think we are in for a very long and stressful wait.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Waiting list places are offered right up until Christmas of next year, after March. It is not uncommon to have people being offered a place just after the start of term where a school was expecting someone to start, but they have either moved out of area, gone private etc and just not told the GS. Also, if someone does start and then decides it's not for them - or has to move area - waiting list comes into play again. Hence the movement can be constant - until Christmas - but we are talking small numbers, after the initial rush through April/May/June...but it can skew the "lowest score in" scores quite dramatically, if children are happy and settled in the school they were offered in March, they don't move, meaning someone quite low down the waiting list could be offered a place. Hence my assertion that the real "lowest score in score" for a school is not usually that representative of the lowest score offered in that school, but the lowest score listed in March is a more consistent guide over the years.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now