Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

winter sea

Catchment

Post by winter sea »

I've split this off into a new discussion on Catchment - Mitasol

So does that mean children in Kirklees can choose Calderdale schools over Heckmondwike, but not the other way around? Is Heckmondwike feasible for kids living in Calderdale? .... seems a bit unfair on Calderdale kids if the potential places are being filled by out of LEA children (but I suppose the whole system isn't exactly fair anyway..)
flamingogogo

Re: Waiting for results of Halifax test?

Post by flamingogogo »

Yes, Heckmondwike has a pass mark which then used to select children it's catchment first. Remaining places are then filled by those living out of the catchment on rank order. Calderdale schools have no catchment and many children will travel from other areas eg. Bradford, Kirklees (lots from Huddersfield) and quite a few come from Lancashire and even Manchester each day. I have even heard of children boarding during the week with family or friends and going home at weekends. I strongly believe places should be offered to children attending Calderdale primary schools first.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I strongly believe places should be offered to children attending Calderdale primary schools first.
There are legal rulings which apply
Greenwich Judgement (1989)
This judgement established that maintained schools may not give priority to children for the sole reason that they live within the LA’s administrative boundaries.

Rotherham Judgement (1997)
This established that admission authorities may operate specified catchment areas as part of their oversubscription criteria provided that, in doing so, they are not in breach of the Greenwich judgement.
So there are methods like catchment areas which can be used, so long as it does not contravene the Greenwich Judgement.
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

So it would be reasonable for the Calderdale schools to apply similar criteria to Heckmondwike then? I don't why they don't. It would also be better for the local areas if you needed to live near the schools to be in with a better chance as it would encourage people to move into the areas, and good for the local economy (and the environment- it can't be good to have people driving their children 15-20 miles to school each day).
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

This is a big bone of contention with me too. Most other grammar schools apply a catchment area first principle. As Calderdale seems to be the only grammar in Yorkshire & Lancs that doesnt it therefore attracts applicants from a much wider area and potentially pushing out those who live on the doorstep!

I'm trying not to get on my high horse too much as its another 3 years before my DS sits and it could all change by then (including the possibility of an 'extension' to the school given the recent ruling). So there could be more places on offer and/or the criteria could change.

BTW - Ive been a lurker for a while - trying to get a handle on what to expect in the coming years! Congratulations to those whose DC has gained a place and fingers crossed for those of you who may be borderline.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now