Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tanu

Help to identify potential choice of schools

Post by tanu »

Hi,
My DS scored 336 and we are OOC.

I know it's not a great score, but would appreciate if someone can suggest potential schools where he can likely get a place with this score?

Is there a way to find out last year cut-off for kent schools?

We are willing to move home with one requirement that travel to London bridge is within one hr frame as I need to travel daily for work.

So perhaps a school ,not too far off and combination of travel for me and DS .
doodles

Re: Help to identify potential choice of schools

Post by doodles »

Tanu, whereabouts in the county are you? It's a large and odd shaped county :D
tanu

Post by tanu »

doodles wrote:Tanu, whereabouts in the county are you? It's a large and odd shaped county :D
Thanks for reply. Like I said ,we are willing to move home as long as its within 1 hour travel to London Bridge. Currently in Croydon.
Earlier were targeting Dartford Boys, but with score 336 OOC ,doesn't seem to stand a chance.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

How about Gravesend or Wilmington?
RAJESSEX

Post by RAJESSEX »

Hi Tanu,

I can understand. It is really very hard to get guidance for OOC students. I am suffering my self.
My DS got 355. We need to apply for the schools now and not sure about managing the preferences yet.
My findings:
Dartford cutoff : 369
Skinners cutoff : 364 first list but went down to 359.

There are many schools who offer places basing on distance. Ofcourse they need to pass the 11+.

It would be grateful if anyone out there can assist us.
We are planning to move as well if he gets a place, but can someone suggest potential schools please.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don't think there are that many, most go on a simple pass and then distance to school. As said on previous post 1) check address change deadline and see if moving by then would make you in catchment, although that is a bit extreme. 2) check Kent admissions booklet for undersubscribed grammars (if such a thing exists and if they do scrutinise why !) 3) look at schools that select on pass but have a few places for top scorers but these scores may not have to be high - I think I and others have mentioned Wilmington.

My gut feeling is that you won't qualify if you stay OOC, sorry. DD got 366 and we are OOC and so won't qualify but might qualify for Wilmington on the maths score if that was what we wanted. Fortunately DD passed other closer grammar tests and we believe she's done well enough for our closest grammar just over a mile from our house.

I appreciate it is easy for me to say as my DD has passed other tests but please don't get swept up into this 'grammar or bust' scenario. I have lots of friends whose DCs didn't pass but they are thriving in great comprehensives, one who ended up in a 'needs improvement' school and her DS is doing well and the school is now 'good'. Moving house can psychologically damage some DCs and reinforce a feeling that they've failed and at a time when a new school means a lot of change to deal with anyway.
tanu

Post by tanu »

Muggle wrote:How about Gravesend or Wilmington?
Thanks Muggle. I cannot find any information on these schools website reg last year offer lowest score.

Do you think 336 OOC is a fighting score for these?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Contact the school admissions people at each school. Wilmington Grammar were very quick in replying to me, or call them up.
WealdDad

Post by WealdDad »

Norton Knatchbull is close to Ashford Station. High Speed about 40 minutes to St Pancras just over an hour to London Bridge (when it reopens) on the slow line
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

If you move close to Wilmington before cut-off you will get a place as they offer most of their places on distance. Crayford, Bexley Village, Dartford are all close by and train to London Bridge is between 40-50 mins depending on which one you choose. Gravesend same re offering places on distance but is further from London Bridge. All said however, you need to visit the schools, you (or more importantly your DS) may not even like them ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now