Ags aqs and ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest415

Ags aqs and ranking

Post by Guest415 »

My ds score was 213 which would have got him in ags last year or the year before. But he is ranked at 534 in the southern area and there are only 350 places. Can anyone let me know my chance of getting ags this year?
thirdgeneration

Re: Ags aqs and ranking

Post by thirdgeneration »

Guest415, that is what I am looking for too but there doesn't appear to be any easy way to find out what was the lowest ranking for AGS last year.

I have found the 2013 entry rankings:
Lowest of all Children in South was 411th and the Lowest for Boys in South was 214th for AGS

but those lowest rankings were when AGS only had 120 places, they now have 150 places, so I would expect the lowest offer rankings to go down... I just don't know by how much.

Has anyone else found out lowest ranking offers for AGS for either 2014 or 2015 entry?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don't have the rankings for last year however, Alcester Grammar School actually took a PAN of 150 last year (they introduced it a year early) so there will not be a big drop in the lowest offer rankings that you seem to be expecting this year, compares with last year.

Fundamentally, in the South, for boys there are 81 places at KES and approx 75 at AGS (it is score/ranked entry so it gets a bit fuzzy around the edges with the boy girl split but my understanding is that it is generally 50:50) so that is about 150 ish places for boys (much easier for girls as they have nearer 200 spaces!)

Guest415, you need to look at where he ranks in the Southern BOYS only, as it looks to me that you have given the ranking out of ALL southern children...unfortunately he is not eligible for the total approx 350 places, being male, I think Shottery would spot him a mile off!!
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

My DD got in off the waiting list (very late) in 2014 with an overall southern ranking of 428 - although that was when AGS only admitted 120 not 150, and obviously as mentioned by Kenyancowgirl she's a girl not a boy!
pegtastic

Post by pegtastic »

We are in the same limbo boat re AGS. DS score 224, ranked 168 out of South boys with 10 on the same score - so that effectively could mean a ranking down to 178. On previous years that score would easily be enough but it's the rankings that really matter.

Allowing for movement (ie not all of those above him taking a place) we are optimistic that he should get a place, but we will have to wait and see.

There seems to be a lot of bunching around the same scores this year, so from what I have gathered from this forum, I am predicting the AQS will be significantly higher than the 210 score last year. How much higher, I really don't know - I'm a newbie to all this.

I have also read that the schools work out their AQS as soon as school selection process closes, I.e 31st October - but they don't release this to parents until the 1st round of offers in March. It seems a shame they can't at least release the AQS earlier - as I think this year it really would give us a much better idea of our DC's chances. anybody fancy predicting the AQS for this year?

I don't think that helps you much, but as I have been advised, put your DS's preferred schools down in your choices, you never know!! We also told our DS that whilst he may not get a place at AGS next year, he still effectively "passed" his 11+ and we were super proud of him regardless of what happens in March.

In the meantime keeping everything crossed for all our DC's that are borderline xx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Schools can only set the AQS when the information has come in as to who has actually applied and that comes in with the CAF at the end of October, so they can't release the information to parents before the CAF is completed. The schools HAVE to know that when they set the AQS they are setting it at a point at which the number of candidates that have chosen that school and the number of seats in the school year are roughly equal. otherwise you could have a situation where lots more children achieved the AQS and there are physically not the seats to out them in.
Rockjames

Post by Rockjames »

Having been through this process with daughter who got into Shottery two years ago and my DS who sat 11+ this year I think the AQS for AGS will rise to somewhere around the 213 mark & the AQS for KES will rise to 230.

Scores seem to be higher this year. My son scored 232 & ranked 97 out of all southern boys so we think he will get into KES but have put AGS down as second choice and given there are around 150 boy places in the south it takes the pressure of him now - just a case of finding out which one on March 1st but yes, AQS's will rise this year.

More kids sitting test - lower rankings for equivalent scores of past years = a rise in AQS.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

RockJames...I don't think there are significantly more kids sitting the test this year - numbers have gone up but only the expected year on year creep. Scores are also not higher - the range is about the same. What has happened is that the mid scores are far more bunched (possibly indicative of an easier test), so more children on the same scores/ranks. This is showing lower rankings for an equivalent score from last year (which is why we keep saying people have to focus on the rank now, not the score!)

I agree that I suspect there may be an increase in the AQS. You are relying on at least 17 boys to choose alternatives to KES, like AGS, B'ham or independent. certainly in previous years a rank of 97 would have got you a place at KES, so remain positive but big up the alternatives, just in case.
Rockjames

Post by Rockjames »

It's also worth taking into account something no-one seems to have mentioned on here regarding KES for 2016 intake that the PAN really isn't 81 but 73 because 10% of their admissions (roughly 8 places) are being given to children on pupil premium who score up to 10 marks below the AQS so that muddies things further.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It's actually "up to 10 places" for PP applicants who score 1-10 marks below the AQS...depending on where the AQS is set, will depend how many, if any, of those 10 places get taken. (And that is after looked after children who may score 1-10 marks below AQS too). The setting of the AQS is key in all this...some of those children will actually score above the AQS anyway so will already be "in" the PAN, if that makes sense. As I have said before, I suspect that the AQS may be higher than last year for a variety of reasons.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now