11+ 2016 Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JAWAT

11+ 2016 Bucks

Post by JAWAT »

I appreciate that many of you may be going through the trauma of 11+ 2015 results right now, but having been through the same pain two years ago forgive me for jumping ahead to 2016 when DS sits the test!

The thought has occurred to me that with the scrapping of the old reporting system 4a, 4b etc and a new one of emerging, expected and exceeding taking its place (at our school at least), how will that affect the 11+ reviews? How can you provide proof of ability if all you have is expected or exceeding on their school report? With the new curriculum in place I am hearing that in maths, for example, pupils now have extra ground to cover to get the same grades, so I'm assuming that my son's report by the end of year 5 will not show much improvement. Will the review panel be aware of this?

Also our school has just introduced the star accelerated learning reading scheme and in the first test the computer has decided that DS reading age is actually below what it was as per the old test done 2 years earlier! If I need to go to review this time next year then I certainly won't be putting forward his reading age as an argument whereas someone whose school uses another system may!

Maybe I just don't know enough yet about the new systems so any thoughts or information to ease my mind would be appreciated!

Thanks. :D
Last edited by JAWAT on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justanothermother

Re: 11+ 2016 Bucks

Post by justanothermother »

I have asked a similar question on the appeals board last year.
Here is a link to my very short thread.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=40212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope there will be more information available this year.
HTH
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

JAWAT wrote:I appreciate that many of you may be going through the trauma of 11+ 2015 results right now, but having been through the same **** two years ago forgive me for jumping ahead to 2016 when DS sits the test!

The thought has occurred to me that with the scrapping of the old reporting system 4a, 4b etc and a new one of emerging, expected and exceeding taking its place (at our school at least), how will that affect the 11+ reviews? How can you provide proof of ability if all you have is expected or exceeding on their school report? With the new curriculum in place I am hearing that in maths, for example, pupils now have extra ground to cover to get the same grades, so I'm assuming that my son's report by the end of year 5 will not show much improvement. Will the review panel be aware of this?

Also our school has just introduced the star accelerated learning reading scheme and in the first test the computer has decided that DS reading age is actually below what it was as per the old test done 2 years earlier! If I need to go to review this time next year then I certainly won't be putting forward his reading age as an argument whereas someone whose school uses another system may!

Maybe I just don't know enough yet about the new systems so any thoughts or information to ease my mind would be appreciated!

Thanks. :D
No negative thoughts allowed for next year...........think positive.

Both my sons schools assess reading age using accelerated reader, so that is well known and seems to reflect their ability, in this household anyway, quite accurately.
I'm sure this year will be tricky for panels but by next year things will be more organised again as the new methods are better understood.
Does your primary use cats?
The head teacher recommendations and their accuracy will be important.

But mostly.....think positive thoughts if your child is bright enough to attend grammar school and be comfortable with the pace then in most cases they will pass. You read more about the exceptions on here as people are reaching out for help when something went wrong or some parents are just very passionate about gs so misjuudge their child's educational needs.
JAWAT

Post by JAWAT »

Thank you both for your replies! Yes you are right, think positive! However, we went to review 2 years ago for DD when the new exam was introduced. Thrown in at the deep end but luckily we were succesfull. Now preparing for DS to take the exam and once bitten twice shy!

Yes we have CATS and the school were great last time, it was just an idle thought as I get to grips with the new systems at school!

Although I feel more informed this time around, I know what a hazardous journey it can be! But you are right, I do believe most of the kids get to the right school for them eventually.
:D
lousmum

Post by lousmum »

If its of any help... This year's selection review form for Bucks refers to current levels (beginning of year six) and expected levels at end of year six as as 'A=below, B=at expected, c= above expected, D=significantly above the average age expected tracking you are using'

:?
JAWAT

Post by JAWAT »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, yes that's a help to know what is happening this year. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now