Comparing QE boys and Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

myfamily

Comparing QE boys and Wilsons

Post by myfamily »

We are not able to decide the preference order between QE and wilsons ..

I didnt find any discussion about this topic in the forum.

Can we start it now...? Please can experienced parents shed some light on it help us out...!!!

1. I heard that QE is more of acedemic type...I felt it like an Indian school, more studies oriented.
2. I dont have any information about wilsons ,but I understood that its not too much pressured as QE.
3. and also we were impressed about the cadet forces at wilsons.

My DS qualified in QE and we are waiting for wilson 2nd stage results.
tiffinboys

Re: Comparing QE boys and Wilsons

Post by tiffinboys »

Both of these schools are miles apart. Where do you live? That should be a consideration.

There is lot of information on both schools in many threads. If you search and read those, you will know which suits your child better.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The schools are opposite sides of London, so won't typically be on many people's radar, certainly for those of us in the south who also have Tiffin, Sutton, Wallington, St Olave's to choose from.

Rugby v football.

QE offers French & German, Wilson's offer French, German, Spanish and Latin.

All boys at Wilson's sit triple science. QE forces 60 boys a year to sit double science.

Wilson's allow the top 2 maths sets to sit additional maths at GCSE. QE doesn't seem to do this?

Wilson's has a transparent 6th form admission policy.

One thing to think about is the previous status of the schools. DH and I are mid40s, both independent school, Oxbridge graduates and certainly DH is still involved in recruiting decisions. We were at Oxbridge in the days when probably 80-100 schools were dominant, many of which we would have been familiar from sorting tournaments etc whilst still at school, but certainly it was common enough to know what school people came from when I was in college. Wilson's and Tiffin were both amongst them. But at that time QEB was a comprehensive school, or at least certainly not a grammar school, and neither of us have ever come across someone from that school in our college or professional lives. Despite neither of us coming originally from South London we have met Wilson, WCGS and Tiffin graduates along the way. Obviously since coming across this forum I am now aware of QEB, but ironically it doesn't have the same brand recognition to my agegroup as other less selective grammar schools have eg the Bucks grammars obviously fed a lot of pupils into Oxford. Clearly so long as you get into one of the top uni's (and certainly 5 years ago some of the magic circle were still only visiting a dozen or so universities), the school won't matter too much, but there are still some professions out there (and I suspect that law is still one) where it might. That said it probably won't be a factor in 10-11 years time, when your son graduates, as it will be another generation deciding on selection. And whilst the school you attend is obviously never part of the selection process, it can make an impression.
myfamily

Post by myfamily »

Thanks Ladymuck, that was useful...

Waiting for more inputs please
Last edited by myfamily on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

The main predominant sport at Wilson's is football and I believe QE is Rugby. To be honest academically both schools are great, what you should consider is the extra curricular activities on offer VRS your son's interests. Where will he thrive best.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

As Ladymuck pointed out, the two schools are on the opposite sides of London. Have you considered a potential daily commute route/time, especially in winter?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Just to check, I meant in terms of which the main sport was, rather than anything deeper! QEB's main sport is rugby and Wilson's is football.

Actually, looking at the QE website they now offer Spanish after school.
Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

Queen Elizabeth is a far superior school. You son will get a much better education in lovely Higher Barnet, and will be among a better class of person. For everyone knows Sarf Landan is minging and you oughtn't to blight your kid's future by sending him to school there!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Woodbine wrote:Queen Elizabeth is a far superior school. You son will get a much better education in lovely Higher Barnet, and will be among a better class of person. For everyone knows Sarf Landan is minging and you oughtn't to blight your kid's future by sending him to school there!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Woodbine, is it an attempt to drive competition away from Wilson's?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Woodbine wrote:Queen Elizabeth is a far superior school. You son will get a much better education in lovely Higher Barnet, and will be among a better class of person. For everyone knows Sarf Landan is minging and you oughtn't to blight your kid's future by sending him to school there!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Woodbine, is it an attempt to drive competition away from Wilson's?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now