Cheeky or what????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saraakash

Cheeky or what????

Post by saraakash »

Just wanted to share with all you DP's what I was asked to do over the weekend...One of my relatives's daughter sat both Walsall & Bham exam, her scores were fantastic 385 Walsall and 245 Bham....she was a very heavily tutored child who as well as eating 3 square meals, was doing her tuition in the same way ( hence the scores) my DD as I have shared before got a below border line score so our chances of GS are quite slim.
Anyway she came over to my house asking me to complete her online CAF...Omg!!! As you guys are thinking can you imagine my reactions...the relative is british born and a TA at the local.primary so I do not have the foggiest as why she came to me, but being me I completed it for her.
Her form went like this:

1- QM
2- WGHS
3-CHG
4-HGS
5-KEFW

So unfortunately for some of us, we cannot escape from all of this even if we want to :?
neveragainmum

Re: Cheeky or what????

Post by neveragainmum »

Totally insensitive- They were clued up as to what they needed to do to get help their dc obtain high scores, and in my opinion knew exactly how to fill in a caf. I think there was another motive either to gloat or draw you in to show no hard feelings. However very insensitive. Your of a good character to have co-operated which shows a better person, and wherever your dc goes will go far with a great parent like you.
shakey

Post by shakey »

Mother's have already started to avoid my wife at school as our ds did very well to get his first choice GS and unfortunately their dcs have done poorly except one who's mother has been badgering my dw wanting to know my ds's score. She has apparently been texting others her ds's score usually upping on each text their score by a couple of points.
We have just said our ds scored very comfortably- end of.
The 11+ can bring out the worse in a lot of dps.
um

Post by um »

That's true :|

I am afraid that as well as smug insensitivity, it can bring out a lot of jealousy which is a terrible emotion to have.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Some people need to prove something. I would try to understand why they feel the need to do this. if its just cultural, then move on.

Regarding mothers in the playground. Just play them. Some people are just plain stupid. I think double the number of kids that have actually secured grammar places could have done so in our primary. I directly attribute the 50% that have not to the mind bogglingly idiotic mindsets. Lack of confidence, unwillingness to collaborate or compete, embarrassment and fear of failure. Interestingly some of those that lose out do so because they are unwilling to be open minded and judge people from afar, without taking a second to look at the positives of what some one might offer.

I don't buy the smug insensitivity bit in ALL cases, it is about often about saying this is not good enough and taking a stand against the group mindset, that says mediocrity and failure are okay. When you have succeeded despite the nay sayers and the ne'er do wells it hard not to show it, but you'll still get accused of being smug

They are poorer for it.
Last edited by Petitpois on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

When we went through this some parents stopped talking to us as well. If you think its bad now wait till they are asking what school in March!
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

We got a borderline score, but I am still so sensitive around other parents. I'm just so grateful that we still have some hope. You really need to spare some thoughts for others who have had lower scores than they were anticipating. It's really daunting for some, as they never thought of any other schools apart from Grammar.

I've had parents wanting to know precise score. But I refuse to share as do not like the playground antics of some parents. Gloating about extremely high scores and then sharing info on kids who didn't get a positive letter.

Like a previous poster stated, goodness knows what March will bring!
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

That's really horrible and insensitive ! In any case I am trying to look at this in the longterm and friends that you lose were probably never really there to start with !
I have had a few parents at our private tell me ! "why do you want to send DD to a state school ? "
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now