Question re Non qualification score and HTA review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DSB

Question re Non qualification score and HTA review

Post by DSB »

Hi, having received the dreaded no pass last week I have been trawling this site ever since and must thank all for the wealth of information available.
So my daughter sat the Kent test and had a decent aggregate score of 334 but missed the Maths by 3 scoring 103 when needing 106 min. The Head teacher appealed prior to us getting the results and from what I can gather put together a good case for which we are very grateful, this was refused because they felt her English was not up to the required standard for GS despite the fact that she passed the English. Q, is this normal to asses a subject that she has not failed?
We have made our minds up to appeal, do you know if we will we need to provide evidence for her English and Maths at the appeal despite the fact that it was the maths paper she missed?
Etienne

Re: Question re Non qualification score and HTA review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
do you know if we will we need to provide evidence for her English and Maths at the appeal despite the fact that it was the maths paper she missed?
As far as I can see, this would be up to the discretion of the individual panel. The Appeals Code specifies "grammar school suitability," but - beyond that - no one can tell an independent panel what criteria to use.

I would play safe and provide evidence of overall ability as well as evidence of progress in maths.

Panels often respond well to a "recent rapid progress" argument.
You will almost certainly have until the beginning of the summer term to submit late evidence, so there's time! :)
Etienne
Moormum

Post by Moormum »

Hi! We are in a very similar sitiuation. My DS got 341. Maths - 126, Reasoning - 117 and English is 98.
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

My understanding of the HTA is that they look at overall ability to assess if the test score was a blip, they also have an English assessment piece to review.

My dd had an unsuccessful HTA appeal last year, she failed the test on the maths with a score of 100 and needed 106. Her levels did not show the test was a blip, it wasn't.

We were however successful on appeal because her levels had improved between the test and the appeal.

I don't know which school(s) you are thinking of appealing to, but the headteacher of the school dd is at said on more than one occassion that if girls fail, as a general rule, they fail in maths and she'd rather have a child lower in maths than English. The headteacher's don't have any influence over the appeal decision but when she said that in our appeal hearing I felt it was a tick in our 'yes' box!!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

DSB wrote:Hi, having received the dreaded no pass last week I have been trawling this site ever since and must thank all for the wealth of information available.
So my daughter sat the Kent test and had a decent aggregate score of 334 but missed the Maths by 3 scoring 103 when needing 106 min. The Head teacher appealed prior to us getting the results and from what I can gather put together a good case for which we are very grateful, this was refused because they felt her English was not up to the required standard for GS despite the fact that she passed the English. Q, is this normal to asses a subject that she has not failed?
We have made our minds up to appeal, do you know if we will we need to provide evidence for her English and Maths at the appeal despite the fact that it was the maths paper she missed?
I have heard this reason for a Headteacher appeal failing on a fair few occasions, we were given the same reason as were at least 5 others that I know of in the past few years.

Definitely go to appeal with such a close score - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Which school(s) are you appealing to? If you don't mind saying, you may get people come along that have appealed for these specific schools and they may be able to give you some ideas/help for how their appeals went.
DSB

Post by DSB »

Hi, thanks for the responses. The school of choice is Weald.
ilesoleil

Post by ilesoleil »

Hi DSB,
One of the 11+ test (the last one of the day), is a writing task. When the HT appeal takes place, they look at that piece of writing which is probably where the comment about your daughter's english ability comes from. Moreover, the school provides books from year 5 to review.
For the appeal, the best thing is to prove her progress in maths and english from now (ask her teacher the levels now and look at her SATs/CATs results from year 5) and know what levels she's working towards. GS are looking for high level 4s in year 5 and high level 5s/level 6s at the year 6 SATs expectations. Panel needs to see your child will perform in a GS as demands can be high.
Last year, 5 appeals were granted for Weald.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now