Handsworth Grammar help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happydays1

Handsworth Grammar help please

Post by happydays1 »

Hi I'm new to this forum and looking for advice from your experience. Ds score is borderline for BV so been advised to add HG to our list unfortunately didn't view it and know very little about it, clock is ticking and unsure if to include on our list. HG verses Comp?? does anyone have Ds there? travel advice as well please
Petitpois

Re: Handsworth Grammar help please

Post by Petitpois »

Its yards away from Soho road, with all the connections either to Black Country via Baggies Ground or 11a route at the top of the road. Conversely connections into town plus also connections to tram.

GCSEs are broadly in line with a Grammar expectations.

Suggest you put it down if you are borderline BV as a back up, unless you have guaranteed top notch comp locally.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Really sorry I don't know HGS.
Whether you go for that or local comp is such a personal choice.
Is there any way you can go and visit this week? As your DS has to be there for at least 5 years you need to know you have made the right choice if you don't get BV.
Keep my fingers crossed for BV for you.
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

There was a thread on this a little while ago which may have some useful info. Hope this works http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=43986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Petitpois wrote:Its yards away from Soho road, with all the connections either to Black Country via Baggies Ground or 11a route at the top of the road. Conversely connections into town plus also connections to tram.

GCSEs are broadly in line with a Grammar expectations.

Suggest you put it down if you are borderline BV as a back up, unless you have guaranteed top notch comp locally.
Very sensible advise.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

Thanks I am thinking of asking if I could go and view before half term not sure if they will let me. My Ds score 209 so I think he stands a chance. My gut tells me Grammar education beats all others I'm just worried about the transition period. We are in Great Barr and have a few options of local comprehensives. I'm looking at my 10 year old travelling safely and being happy for the next 5 years. This is the first time I have stressed along the whole journey we were so relaxed along the 11+ route
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

Green Girl wrote:There was a thread on this a little while ago which may have some useful info. Hope this works http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=43986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you I have just had a look
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

happydays1 wrote:Thanks I am thinking of asking if I could go and view before half term not sure if they will let me. My Ds score 209 so I think he stands a chance. My gut tells me Grammar education beats all others I'm just worried about the transition period. We are in Great Barr and have a few options of local comprehensives. I'm looking at my 10 year old travelling safely and being happy for the next 5 years. This is the first time I have stressed along the whole journey we were so relaxed along the 11+ route
Remain positive.

Don't get misled about stereotypes about the area.Realistically your choices are between Handsworth Grammar and your comprehensive choices. I have heard good things in particular about the maths department considering in the whole area they had (until PP) the widest range of abilities.I went to the school in the summer as a sixth form option for a relatives daughter.

Please go around the school they have an inspirational headmaster.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

quasimodo wrote:
happydays1 wrote:Thanks I am thinking of asking if I could go and view before half term not sure if they will let me. My Ds score 209 so I think he stands a chance. My gut tells me Grammar education beats all others I'm just worried about the transition period. We are in Great Barr and have a few options of local comprehensives. I'm looking at my 10 year old travelling safely and being happy for the next 5 years. This is the first time I have stressed along the whole journey we were so relaxed along the 11+ route
Remain positive.

Don't get misled about stereotypes about the area.Realistically your choices are between Handsworth Grammar and your comprehensive choices. I have heard good things in particular about the maths department considering in the whole area they had (until PP) the widest range of abilities.I went to the school in the summer as a sixth form option for a relatives daughter.

Please go around the school they have an inspirational headmaster.
Thank you I'm trying to weigh up all the options. Main concern is travel options as I can't seem to find the school bus route although some sights say the green bus goes that route. Comprehensive choices are Great Barr area and we do have a feeder school in Walsall from primary school. Ds wanted the 11+ route and only decided this time last year he has worked so hard I am soooooo proud of him, I don't want to make the wrong choice now
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

If you are in Walsall your choices I would suggest are Aldridge, Barr Beacon or Streetly.If you are Roman Catholic it would be St Francis of Assisi.Over the border there is Q3 and Perry Beeches.I don't know the qualifying criteria.

Abraham Lincoln