The ROyal Wolverhampton School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Wolves mum

The ROyal Wolverhampton School

Post by Wolves mum »

The Royal School should be Free from 2016 (Sept). But they will then apply a catchment area for admissions so if you haven't had the results you wanted an option may be to pay for your child to get in now before they will be subject to admissions criteria in Sept.

It's not a Grammar and I've heard mixed things about it but if you r local comp is dire and you can't take the independent route it is an option.

They have also now become a children's university school.
wolvsparent

Re: The ROyal Wolverhampton School

Post by wolvsparent »

We went round on a open day a few weeks ago. Was really disappointed and out of 6 schools visited recently, the only one DS objected too. I really can't see why people have been paying for it. It's results are mediocre and the school is so run down!

On the whole tour we were hard pressed to see any "tech" in the classrooms. No interactive white boards, no PC's etc. There is one ICT suite which teachers have to "book". The head said they'd been awarded a grant for IT and I can see why. It looked like the 1920's!

There are several better comp options in Wolverhampton. Just because you pay for something it doesn't make it better!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

One of my colleagues at work has moved his son from a Wedesfield primary to the Royal,his son is 6 years old.They are very happy with the move even though they are having to pay the fees for a year.

The school are obviously seeking a way forward by becoming a free school and have been starved of resources.The school will expand organically.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

wolvsparent wrote:We went round on a open day a few weeks ago. Was really disappointed and out of 6 schools visited recently, the only one DS objected too. I really can't see why people have been paying for it. It's results are mediocre and the school is so run down!

On the whole tour we were hard pressed to see any "tech" in the classrooms. No interactive white boards, no PC's etc. There is one ICT suite which teachers have to "book". The head said they'd been awarded a grant for IT and I can see why. It looked like the 1920's!

There are several better comp options in Wolverhampton. Just because you pay for something it doesn't make it better!
I know they've just spent a lot on updating their IT systems and in Yr 6 my friend said all the kids had access to iPads.

i looked round last year and it seemed quite disorganised however I'm not sure if this was due to the sudden increase in numbers. I know of 2 parents who have moved kids there as a plan B and the kids seem happy. Apparently Blue Peter filmed a show there. They have wrap around childcare from 8am-6pm (no extra charge) and their kids go to senior school for some lessons to get them ready for Yr7.

I might take another look myself as its better than my local comp.

I also thought the results were ok for a non selective. So I may need to revisit my research there :?
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I don't know the school personally, but have known someone who moved their children there who was overjoyed at the level of care they could afford on her child with special needs.

There was talk of this change of status a year or so ago - pre-election. Seemed to have been delayed - maybe like the delayed City/Sandwell hospital. But then the WOK grammar happened eventually, so this might too!

A school is a complex community, and this one has potential to become a powerhouse again. There are other, successfully performing schools in Wolves and around, but maybe if you have confidence in their leadership and backers and vision, you might consider investing yourself, your child into that community.

God bless the Royal and all who sail in her !
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Personally I would think it a bit of a gamble to send my child their. I think I would like to wait a few years to see how it copes with its new clientele and increase in numbers.
WindowGlass

Re: The ROyal Wolverhampton School - anywhere else, Hydesvil

Post by WindowGlass »

OBD I know what you're saying, but ANY school's a gamble. People "race to the top" to get to the "best" school, but some get there and yet crash out.
We try to find and get "the best school for the child" but you don't know for sure until you get a year or more in - or so I have found!
Some dp's might need this as an option. Other mavericks might just fancy their chances.

BTW I never hear of Walsall's Hydesville Tower independent school on here. Does anyone know about it?
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

onebigdilemma wrote:Personally I would think it a bit of a gamble to send my child their. I think I would like to wait a few years to see how it copes with its new clientele and increase in numbers.
The only issue is that from September unless you are in catchment or have a sibling there or are a member of the armed forces this school won't be an option for you.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Thank you for not pointing out my spelling error!!
I understand schools can change, my son's primary went from outstanding to special measures but I had heard (may not be correct) that quite a few teachers had left.
It is going through a lot of change and time will tell if it is for the better or not.
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

On the open weekend the headmaster said ONLY 50% of places would be catchment (I think he may have said 3 miles but could be wrong on that). The other 50% would come from outside of that including/not limited by overseas.
I think he said they envisage having 47 places for this years incoming Year 7 to add to those already coming up from the Juniors.
The main problem in the future will be if they expand the Juniors there will be few places left in the Seniors as they have automatic entry.

{Blue Peter was there as current presenter Radzi Chingyanganya is a former pupil. He went from there to Adams!}