Number of boys passed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tanu

Number of boys passed

Post by tanu »

Is there a way to find out how many total candidates are passed each year? Does it remain same % or changes each year.
I emailed CSSE yesterday, but they told me that they don't provide statistical data of this kind.
ToadMum

Re: Number of boys passed

Post by ToadMum »

tanu wrote:Is there a way to find out how many total candidates are passed each year? Does it remain same % or changes each year.
I emailed CSSE yesterday, but they told me that they don't provide statistical data of this kind.
For the Southend and Westcliff schools, the HTs have been very helpful with data for in-catchment passes (last year either 234 or 236 in-catchment boys passed, I think; another year in the recent past it was something like 170 in-catchment boys and 169 girls. Which, of course, doesn't help much if you want to know the overall figures. Perhaps the HTs at the Colchester schools or KEGS would be able / willing to provide the data if someone asks at an information session?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

The Colchester and Chelmsford schools don't have a pass mark. The places go to applicants in rank order. In Chelmsford the in-catchment children have a certain number of 'reserved' places but there is no set cut off mark to be reached. In Colchester there is no catchment area. So its only the Southend area schools that a pass mark applies to.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:The Colchester and Chelmsford schools don't have a pass mark. The places go to applicants in rank order. In Chelmsford the in-catchment children have a certain number of 'reserved' places but there is no set cut off mark to be reached. In Colchester there is no catchment area. So its only the Southend area schools that a pass mark applies to.
That is true :) . I guess I was thinking of information on those scoring above 'our' mark of 303 (because that's the only thing I could think of the OP meaning), but of course there is no particular reason why the non-Southend schools should have that info (unless the CSSE provides then all with a full breakdown of numbers). They know that they will always fill their spaces and the number of candidates between 303 and the scope of their last one in will always be too many for them to be able to extend their PAN to, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

As far as 'is the number who 'pass' a fixed %' I guess the answer is that it's not exactly a fixed % but the way the raw scores are adjusted to take account of how all the pupils perform in the test each year means the overall % scoring 303 or above shouldn't change very much.

However this will be for all entrants not just those in catchment of schools where there is a 'pass mark'.
So in theory the % of children in Southend area who 'pass' could be more variable.
For example, if something was going on with schools in London there could be an influx of high scoring children taking the CSSE test which could result in a higher raw score being needed to get the 303 'pass mark'.

Hopefully ToadMum will check my reasoning on this - it does get a bit complicated!
tanu

Post by tanu »

Thanks for reply-KB and ToadMum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now