Reading School - feedback on the school please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ssapthar

Reading School - feedback on the school please

Post by ssapthar »

Dear All
I am aware that Reading School is the only selective school for us in Reading, and there's no other school to compare it against. I just managed to attend the last 20 min of the open evening:( I couldn't gather much of information on the school from the forum. I greatly appreciate any feedback - positive or otherwise.

I see that the position of Reading School in league tables is great and the number of boys getting to Oxbridge or Russell group universities look impressive. But, I didn't find much of information about the school in Good Schools guide whilst there's plenty of information on schools such as Wilsons or QE.

How do the boys generally feel about the school? How are they in sports? How is the pastoral care? How is the disciplining? Teachers etc.

Cheers xx
LittleL0st

Re: Reading School - feedback on the school please

Post by LittleL0st »

I must say that I know a former teacher who said the pastoral care is unimpressive. They got rid of the school councillor and replaced with a machine where kids check in and give smiley/sad faces etc (and get automated responses). Apparantly if they use it for 100 days they are given a £5 iTunes voucher. The 6 form boys wrote a computer programme to make it appear they had done so, automatically receiving their free iTunes *snigger*

However, this has not put me off. I'll still be putting it as first choice.

X
ssapthar

Post by ssapthar »

Thank you for sharing :) Life at Reading School appears to be the best kept secret..
Sandie D H

Post by Sandie D H »

My DS started in Year 7 this September, and so far I have been impressed by the care. I have emailed his tutor and had a quick responses, and help locating lost property. Numerous chances to meet the tutors and discuss progress, attitude to learning reports already received. Online tracking showing dare points and behaviour. No complaints so far.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Like Sandie D H my DS also started in Reading School Year 7 in Sep this year.

So far we are quite happy with the school, the teachers are all available via email and phone calls , email response is quite fast.

As we have no experience of other schools to compare with but so far we have not seen anything to complain as such.

If anyone of you have to know something in specific , do PM or ask in this thread, will be more than happy to respond.
ssapthar

Post by ssapthar »

Thank you Sandie D H and indiemom!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now