Bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mickey1

Bucks appeal

Post by Mickey1 »

Hi
I am preparing to make an appeal as my ds's scores for his VR were uncharacteristically low. He says he got in a muddle on the answer sheet. I feel appeal rather than review is the best way forward as he is 10 points off qualification and I think we will be best served by being able to state our case yand provide evidence that he is predicted level 5/6 for English.
I have been advised to seek a remarking of the paper. Would it just not be the computer remarking, and could it really prove his assertion that he came out of sequence on the answer sheet? Any advice would be gratefully received:) - smiley face through the tears:(
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

If you read the Q&As, you'll see that Bucks will do a re-mark by hand:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the limited amount of information a remark provides these days, and the very, very small likelihood of the score changing, we'd advise most parents not to waste their money.

If in your particular case you wish to go ahead with this, you should email (not phone) Admissions with your request.
We think there's a fee of £28, but this will no doubt be confirmed by Admissions.

It would be a good idea to read as much as possible about appeals.
Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mickey1 wrote:Hi
I feel appeal rather than review is the best way forward as he is 10 points off qualification and I think we will be best served by being able to state our case yand provide evidence that he is predicted level 5/6 for English.
Do you mean appeal rather than review? A review is a paper exercise and you can't be there in person. Also, do be aware that there aren't levels at KS2 anymore and the school should be predicting something like 'Year 6 exceeding'.
Mickey1

Post by Mickey1 »

Thanks for your responses.
Guest55 wrote:
Mickey1 wrote:Hi
I feel appeal rather than review is the best way forward as he is 10 points off qualification and I think we will be best served by being able to state our case yand provide evidence that he is predicted level 5/6 for English.
Do you mean appeal rather than review? A review is a paper exercise and you can't be there in person. Also, do be aware that there aren't levels at KS2 anymore and the school should be predicting something like 'Year 6 exceeding'.
Yes I mean appeal rather than review. Yes, I know there are no longer levels. Spoke briefly to class teacher today who said, they use "working towards", "within expectations" and "exceeding".
Etienne wrote:Welcome to Appeals! :)

It would be a good idea to read as much as possible about appeals.
Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Thank you, I have been fervently reading everything! So what I done so far is
1) Contacted Bucks CC to get an appeal pack ( I assume this will have all the relevant info to make an appeal and information about deadlines. Just to confirm, I can send a letter of appeal and then other supporting evidence can follow later?

2) Had a quick chat with son's teacher regarding supporting academic evidence. He will seek advice as new to teaching year 6. But is it the Headteacher I should be speaking to? On that note, what if the headteacher decides not to give a report? I hear this sometimes happens...

3) I think the school will be doing assesments in November sometime - can I wait for the most recent assesments to be done (hopefully they will confirm him at the equivalent of a level 5/6) and then forward this on before the appeal in March?

I think(!) I am starting to get to grips with the process :? :?

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mickey1 wrote: 1) Contacted Bucks CC to get an appeal pack ( I assume this will have all the relevant info to make an appeal and information about deadlines.
They might send you a review pack! You cannot appeal before March!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just to confirm I can send a letter of appeal and then other supporting evidence can follow later?
Appeal in March, and then evidence can be submitted later.
2) Had a quick chat with son's teacher regarding supporting academic evidence. He will seek advice as new to teaching year 6. But is it the Headteacher I should be speaking to?
Yes.
On that note, what if the headteacher decides not to give a report? I hear this sometimes happens...
Read the Q&As!
E32 (e).
3) I think the school will be doing assesments in November sometime - can I wait for the most recent assesments to be done (hopefully they will confirm him at the equivalent of a level 5/6) and then forward this on before the appeal in March?
Appeals won't take place until the summer term!
I think(!) I am starting to get to grips with the process :? :?
:?
Etienne
Mickey1

Post by Mickey1 »

Oh dear, I am SO not getting to grips with the process..haha!! Was feeling rather smug and clever! :lol: :lol:
Etienne, you are quite right to be :? for me.
Thank you:)
Mickey1

Post by Mickey1 »

Please help me I am so confused!!

Had made up my mind an appeal was best in our situation. As I said my son's VR score was very low, despite the fact that this was always his strong subject, and his marks went down to 108. With such a low mark I felt appeal was the best option. His teacher has told me he is a level 5/6 for English...

I have been advised to do the selection review....but if unsuccesful so worried about this FCO issue (still confused by it), but if I wait for appeal, all those who passed first time round and those who were succesful at review would have taken up most of the spaces.

Are selection reviews more for those who have scores closer to the pass mark? I am aware I am waffling...so tricky with this FCO issue for selection reviews...why would anyone take the risk if you could be robbed of the chance to appeal at a later date?

:( Feeling overwhelmed....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mickey1 wrote:I have been advised to do the selection review....
For what reason? By whom?
If by the primary school, that is to be expected. They've been 'programmed' to stick to: "The system is that you go to review first, and then you can appeal"!
In 2013 the 'party line' overstepped the mark by saying that you couldn't go to appeal unless you'd first been through a review.
We pointed out that that was almost certainly unlawful, and we were vindicated. The Headteachers Manual now makes it very clear that a review can be bypassed.
Even so, we've still heard the occasional story of an out-of-touch primary school advising parents "You can't appeal unless you've first been through a review".
but if unsuccesful so worried about this FCO issue (still confused by it), but if I wait for appeal, all those who passed first time round and those who were succesful at review would have taken up most of the spaces.
Not much we can add to FCO and oversubscription, which are all discussed in detail: here.
And in this thread.
Are selection reviews more for those who have scores closer to the pass mark?
You'd certainly stand a much better chance with scores of 118-120, based on last year's figures - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... eous#e29f4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but nothing, of course, can be guaranteed.
:( Feeling overwhelmed....
Anyone who has got as far as understanding all the issues ought to feel overwhelmed!
There are no easy answers.
One of the aims (probably the main aim) of the system was to steer everyone towards a review, and to cut down on the number of appeals in order to save the grammar schools money. The hope may have been that - if you have an unsuccessful review - the very thought of FCO would put you off appealing!
It's a cruel system, because whatever you do is a bit of a gamble. And precisely because it's a gamble, we don't advise you to go in one direction rather than the other.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Etienne wrote: One of the aims (probably the main aim) of the system was to steer everyone towards a review, and to cut down on the number of appeals in order to save the grammar schools money. The hope may have been that - if you have an unsuccessful review - the very thought of FCO would put you off appealing!
I've picked up a few HTs that don;t really understand the differences and are, therefore, maybe not in a good position to advise.

Mickey1 - you could factor in whether you are in catchment and which GS you are in catchment for and what the historic allocation profile is like. That might influence your decision whether to wait for appeal (time to get more evidence, put your case in person and show work) but you will still need to win the appeal!
Mickey1

Post by Mickey1 »

Hello
I had made up my mind to got to appeal, now I have the headteacher's summary and am confused again!! Do I even have time to go for a selection review?

The summary said:
GS suitability 2, attitude to learning 1

KS1 results, reading 2b, writing 2b, maths 2a

End of year 3, reading 4c, writing 3a, maths 3b

End of year 4, reading 4a, writng 4b, maths 3b

End of year 5 Reading (C above expected), Writing (C above expected) and Maths(At Expected)

His predictions for end of year 6 are the same as at the end of year 5, although I do believe he is capable of level 5 maths if he cuts out silly mistakes as he understands all the methods and it is rushing which loses him marks.

However his marks for English were shockingly low (which he usually excels at) and his maths was actually where he got the most marks in his 11+. As stated earlier in my previous posts he thinks he came out of sequence on the answer sheet...
I have information that I can add to the selection review to prove his ususally high level for English. I have sent an email to the inbox with this information.
I know it is ultimately my decision but just would have some different perspectives. If his selection review is unsuccesful and his predicted sats go up (esp the maths) can I say that I have additional information about my son's ability which would entitle me to an appeal. I say this with reference to FCO. Please share your thoughts:) Thanks