A question about PAN

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sam

A question about PAN

Post by Sam »

A recent transfer appeal was unsuccessful. The school was 3 over PAN and the school put forward their case that it would be difficult to accomodate another child. I understand that a few days later a child left the year group concerned and was replaced by another child on the waiting list. Does a school need to wait until it reaches the PAN before taking on another child or is taking another child whilst being over PAN quite usual?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I suspect they would have been on weak ground not to go back to 3 over PAN as they had obviously coped ...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Only in limited circumstances.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... mber#48595
Etienne
Sam

Post by Sam »

Thanks Ettienne. I understand from the admissions officer that a child left hence was replaced by a child on the waiting list.

My child is on the waiting list - I am obviously not happy with the school's case put forward at the hearing, but would having this information now benefit my child in any way. If so, how would it do so?
Sam

Post by Sam »

Sorry, I should also have asked whether by admitting another child (without exceptional circumstances) so soon after our appeal would make argument that the school was full invalid?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's all done on 'balance' so to go 4 over PAN might not have been OK according to the panel - once the child had left your appeal might have stood a better chance -

All I can think is the school decided that they would lose an appeal for this child's admission so gave a place -
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This may not be easy. It might depend, for example, on what is meant by "exceptional circumstances".

As a starting point I suggest you first write formally to the Admission Authority pointing out that the Admissions Code which is now legally binding states in 1.21:
Once an admission number has been set by the admission authority, children should not be admitted above the published number unless exceptional circumstances apply or as part of in-year fair access protocols (see Chapter 3) or a closing school (see paragraph 1.40).

Ask them to state in writing what the exceptional circumstances were in this case.

Explain that, if there were no exceptional circumstances, this would raise questions about whether the IAP was misled about the strength of the school's case at stage one of the appeal held on such-and-such a date.

Send your letter by recorded delivery.

Let's see what response you get .....
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's all done on 'balance' so to go 4 over PAN might not have been OK according to the panel - once the child had left your appeal might have stood a better chance -
Hi, Guest55. I think it depends what was said at stage 1. If the school said it was quite happy to be 3 above PAN, but couldn't possibly cope with one more pupil, fair enough. That wouldn't be misleading. The IAP would take the view that, in effect, the Admission Number is PAN + 3!

Usually, however, they argue strictly on the basis of the PAN - and that they are already 3 above ....... and struggling to cope!
All I can think is the school decided that they would lose an appeal for this child's admission so gave a place -
I doubt that they should be doing this, as it would appear to be in breach of the Admissions Code.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have known a local school do this - my friend's daughter offered a place when over PAN - but I agree it is not correct.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There are a number of schools doing this. In some instances they are not even prioritising according to their published admission criteria.

If an IAP knew it was going on, it would raise doubts about the strength of the schools' case at stage 1 ......
Etienne