Any Bexley Grammar Parents out there?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anon

Any Bexley Grammar Parents out there?

Post by anon »

I have visited all the Bexley Grammar Schools and the one that we like the most is Bexley Grammar.

I was wondering if any one else is considering this school or already has children there and what are your thoughts on a child studying three languages one of which is Latin and having to take two out of the three studied at GCSE level.

My child has not studied a language before and does not come from a family that speaks another language either.

If anyone is considering this school who has a child in the same predicament, does this worry you?

If anyone already has a child at the school who was in the same predicament - Have they managed to cope or have they found it too confusing and a struggle.

Also my child is quite sporty. Do they have many sporting activities and clubs as I looked at the web page and there appears to be very few.

Last question. We live on the boarders of Barnehurst towards Northumberland Heath. Are there any others from this area that you know of at the school or considering it or do most get into Beths or Townley as they are the closest?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above.
MerlinFromCamelot

Re: Any Bexley Grammar Parents out there?

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I don’t have a child at BGS so can’t comment on that school in particular but it sounds like a very good and happy school.

In terms of language studies I think it is better to do 1 but study it properly to a good level rather than having 3 language GCSEs. A GCSE is a low qualification and you won’t get far with a GCSE in any language. At work we had a student who had a GCSE in Japanese but our Japanese colleagues could not understand a word he was saying and he did not understand them either. :shock:
gholgftf

Post by gholgftf »

Our eldest son is in Y8 there. He loves it and considering how much he hated primary school it's such a difference. Our youngest passed the 11+ too and will also be going there.

Eldest studied German in Y7 and has added Italian in Y8. On top of that is the Latin.

The way they teach languages really seems to suit our child and he has made, to us, amazing progress. After 6 month of Y7 we went to the Netherlands for the weekend and he spent a far bit of time there chatting with people in German. It was a very strange feeling listening to our son conversing away to people and not be able to understand a single thing he said...! I don't doubt it will be the same with the Italian.

In primary in year 6 he did the usual French to a minimal level but we also had some sixth formers from BGS come in for a few weeks and offer German lessons. We "volunteered" him for this but other than that he had no prior experience.

Regarding Latin, my understanding is they don't have to take that at GSCE but can instead study Classics, which I'd imagine is a more rounded subject. His Latin at the moment consists of mostly written vocab and learning abut Pompeii etc. There's little to no actual speaking of it involved as far as I can make out.

I'd whole heartedly recommend BGS and it was our top choice for both boys. Admittedly we live within walking distance of it but due to both their 11+ scores could have gotten into Dartford or C&S if we'd wanted.

HTH.
Yummy Mummy

Post by Yummy Mummy »

My DS has recently joined BGS having never studied French or Latin before. He was a little nervous to start with as many of his class had studied French in their Primary Schools but, he has really taken to the challenge. They have French most days and he is now really enjoying it. As for Latin it seems to be a new subject for most of the class and he is also loving this. I am delighted how well he has settled in and most nights stays for an after school club, has joined the football team and tried lots of new activities. It is still early days but he is really enjoying his new school and we definitely feel this is the right school for him.
anon

Post by anon »

Thank you for your replies. I now feel more at ease knowing that others have been ok with it and think that we will stick to our 1st choice as this seems to be the school my child is set on in the hope that we don't live too far out.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now