Pastoral care and mental well beng at DGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lewishammum2

Pastoral care and mental well beng at DGGS

Post by Lewishammum2 »

We visited DGGS last night and really liked it, as did DD. Our tour guide and the other girls we met all seemed v happy and confident. I did grill our poor tour guide a lot on the pastoral care and non- academic aspects of the school, eg. Discipline, flexibility, spirit of the school and all her responses were v positive. I am however v cautious of super selectives and the potential that the academic pressure has to detrimentally affect a young person's mental well being. I have encountered worrying stories about another super selective local to us and the basis of these accounts (which I know to have at least some basis in reality), we made a conscious decision not to consider that school. I haven't heard similar stories about DGGS but wonder whether it really is different or whether because we don't live so local we just haven't heard the stories. I am v aware that as a super selective, that there is academic pressure there but is it applied in a supportive way that promotes / protects mental well being? Reports from current parents would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Seraphine

Re: Pastoral care and mental well beng at DGGS

Post by Seraphine »

Interested in this also. Was going to post similar so will follow with interest.
vegmad

Post by vegmad »

Seraphine wrote:Interested in this also. Was going to post similar so will follow with interest.
Also interested I have posted a similar question on the forum. We are also Lewisham Borough in Lee and are putting DGSG as first choice.
Yummy Mummy

Post by Yummy Mummy »

My DD is in Year 11 and we are, and have always been very happy with DGGS. It is a wonderful school and she has always enjoyed going. They do work very hard and push them but it is all very manageable and supported by the staff. My DD is particularly sporty and enjoys a wide choice of sports offered. She wants to stay at DGGS for 6th form and doesn't want to even look anywhere else. We would definitely recommend DGGS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now