First Choice school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bookaddict

First Choice school

Post by bookaddict »

Now the results are here, conversations turn to which school are they going to.
After speaking with a friend today, they are totally confused where to send their DD - AGGS/SGS or non-selective.

My DS passed both AGSB and SGS, with SGS our first choice. In catchment to both schools.
Interested to see what others 1st choice school is.
deltamum

Re: First Choice school

Post by deltamum »

Passed AGSB and Sale - AGSB is first choice because we are within walking distance, prefer single-sex education and most of his friends are going there.
Brainfreeze

Post by Brainfreeze »

Congrats again bookaddict and deltamum.

We have gone for agsb over sgs because DS likes The Grammar sports facilities.

His choice. I think the only differentiating factor would have been single sex v co ed. DS says he is happy with either.

About equidistant to both by the way.
2girls

Post by 2girls »

We ate still yet to apply...

Daughter passed Sale and AGGS. Leaning towards SGS as prefer co-ed but can't get it out if my head that AGGS is one of the best schools in the country and so struggling to turn it down....!

Also don't know whether you need to have a strong score to succeed (or even what a string score is?!).

Just over a week to get application done. ....Aaargh
deltamum

Post by deltamum »

I don't think you need a strong score in a particular entrance exam to succeed at that school, passing is in itself a huge achievement as well as coping with the whole process. The score just relates to the exam and how they did on that one day which can be affected by a number of variables nerves etc I'm sure - and remember there aren't always that many marks between a candidate with a standardised score at 334 or one with say 364 or even higher!
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

From my local knowledge and parents of children who are already there, I think the general perception is that AGGS has more of a "type" - very academic, confident, self motivated, independent girls. I think SGS is also a very good school but girls who are not that type might do better there. I think most parents know whether their child's score was reflective of their ability. Certainly if my DD had got a pass, or very close to a pass (rather than a higher mark - which I'd kind of expect the "type" to get), then I'd be slightly concerned whether my daughter would be happy there. I think some girls can think its quite a pressured environment.

I think the AGSB still has elements of that - but not quite so much. I think it is slightly more inclusive, supportive. There is still pressure to achieve but it doesn't feel so intense for the boys there.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

There may be many good reasons to choose Sale over AGGS but the myth that AGGS is overly intense is not one of them.
The first 2 yrs at AGGS are quite relaxed really and any girl passing will do just fine, honestly.
There seems to be lot of nonsense about girls there are overly competitive,most girls rub along nicely,yes there may be some prima donnas but that's probably true about most schools.

It is true that AGGS girls are quite bright and their results reflect its higher selectivity but I reiterate if your DD has passed she will have no problem keeping up and almost all of the girls qualify to progress to the 6th form.
dongying

Post by dongying »

My DS passed both, within catchment area for both. I will put AGSB as the first choice--easy to travel, and my DS needs push all the time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now