What does your school think?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

What does your school think?

Post by mystery »

Yearly programmes for maths are set out in this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 220714.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's nothing in this document - read the preamble - that says that in a particular year material from the following year absolutely cannot be covered in main class time. Our school has set a rule that material from the year above can only be touched on with specific children if they are judged by the school to be "significantly gifted and talented" and even then, it wouldn't be in the main maths lesson that this material would be covered.

What does your school do?

Also, I've read somewhere in DfE documentation that old national curriculum expectations for end of year 6 were a 4b and that it is similar this year but I can't find the document in which I read this. If anyone has seen it and can provide the link I would be grateful.

I can't find it
Midlandsmom

Re: What does your school think?

Post by Midlandsmom »

I was told by ours that the emphasis is now very much on being absolutely secure and less on doing 'higher level' work. That said, our year 6 teacher has said she can still progress child to year 7 work but probably much later in the year, once she can say for definite that they are absolutely secure with everything else and need to move on. So it doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule at our school. This is just year 6 though, who have a fantastic teacher who will converse well and explain everything at parents evening - I have very little idea about what the other years 'rules' or processes are :roll:

ETA: I assumed from what she said that the higher level work would be within maths lesson, otherwise when else would it be done...
mumsdarling2

Re: What does your school think?

Post by mumsdarling2 »

DS's teacher said that the children will not be taught y7 curriculum no matter how good they are. They will be encouraged to explore further at the current level. Do more real life problems and such.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now