How are schools assessing children with the new curriculum?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

How are schools assessing children with the new curriculum?

Post by salsa »

Hi all,

Do you know how your schools are coping without levels? What are they using? Have the government issued guidelines to help teachers assess if a child is making progress?

"In the olden days" the school used to say that children were expected to make at leas two sub-levels of progress per year. Now, you get the "woolly", "below expectations", "meets expectations" or "exceeds expectations". Expectations according to whom?

Thanks!
yoyo123

Re: How are schools assessing children with the new curricul

Post by yoyo123 »

The government has not issued guidelines, it is up to individual schools...
Went to a moderation meeting yesterday, 6 schools, 3 different methods.

Encouragingly,we marked blind, using our school's guidelines and they all came out as same assessment
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The 'expectations' are supposed to link to the Primary yearly teaching programme.

Our local Primary had an evening to explain it all and I think you should ask your school to explain their new assessments.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you so much for replying. Doesn't this lack of guidance make teachers' jobs harder?
salsa

Post by salsa »

They gave us a list of topics they should know by the end of the year.
LincsMumTo3

Post by LincsMumTo3 »

We've just had parents evening, we was given a list of things they should know and was told that for the more able the expect a more in depth knowledge of each of the items
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We had the below/achieving/exceeding, but also for literacy - reading age, spelling age and writing age, all in years/months.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Minesatea wrote:We had the below/achieving/exceeding, but also for literacy - reading age, spelling age and writing age, all in years/months.
At least that's a bit more information. Lucky you. Reading age, etc should give you a good indication if they are making progress by the end of the year.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Are any of your primary schools comparing their new way of assessing children with an equivalent 'old' level? I'm finding it hard to understand how parens know if their child is making expected progress.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

My DS year 4 teacher told us he is reading at a 10.4 year old level....as that is as high as they can test him!!! I do not like this new way of not covering new material or pushing ahead and just doing "deeper learning."

Our primary is not in an 11+ area so it means more tutoring since the primary no longer pushes the more able to the year above, UUUGGGHHHH!

Since my DS needs to know all of the year 6 curriculum in September when he takes the 11+ that means more homework for us...how depressing :>(

Also my DS is currently on division of the 5 times tables. Even though he knows all of the times tables and was in an extended math's group last year before we moved to the new curriculum......