How supportive is your child's primary school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kingstone

How supportive is your child's primary school?

Post by Kingstone »

How supportive is your child's primary school, in advising whether or not grammar school would be appropriate for your child, helping prepare for 11+ exams, or even just simply acknowledging that your child is sitting exams - form teachers wishing them luck, or congratulating them on their success?
My DS's school seems to be basically ideologically opposed to selective education, and appears to operate a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy!
Is this common?
You would think that they would want to support their brightest students in finding an appropriate secondary school....
BucksBornNBred

Re: How supportive is your child's primary school?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Our primary was actively against 11+ and even told the children that it was not important at all and to concentrate on preparing for the SATs. At the 11+ meeting with the school, the HT emphasised that DCs did not have to sit the exam and acted like we were all inhuman for thinking it was a good idea to put them through the ordeal. This was in an opt-out area. If I could find my notes I could give you a more accurate account of the wording and "slant" of the meeting!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Support? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But they are ready to take all credit when these very chikdren get high levels in SATs.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

No. It was never mentioned at school. When DD1 got into GS (the only girl in her year to do so) not one teacher or Head congratulated her. I think the Head is very anti - grammar.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Actively hostile to the point that grammar schools weren't even mentioned in the list of destination schools by the Head during speeches at the Year 6 leavers' assembly. This despite children in Year 6 having secured places at every one of the local selective schools.
There was absolutely no mention of the process, no support and of course no congratulation.
The Head was vehemently opposed to selective education and made this very clear to anyone who asked for advice.

In contrast, the leavers' assembly at a friend's local prep celebrated every grammar school offer - even if not taken up. The names of boys offered Wilsons, Tiffins etc were read out even if they had declined those offers in favour of scholarships elsewhere.
I don't know it is is a state / independent divide or down to individual heads.
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Am so happy someone started this thread - till now I was in the impression that my DS's school head/deputy head/teachers are really peculiar - one of a kind - they never missed a chance to show us 'having big dream' for our kids is wrong, being ambitious parents is a sin and mentioning 'grammar school' is like foul language to them!

After reading other posts in this thread I realised it is , infact , epidemic :)

Am still waiting for my DS's school to acknowledge and say something nice to him or at least make him feel like he is not doing something 'wrong' after he gained place in the top 10 in all 3 sutton/wallington school mocks and gaining 270+ in tiffins. Nope,not a single word but all they talk is Level 6 SATs!

And now my DS doesn't even want to tell anyone in his school abt these results. 'I shouldn't say' or 'Nobody talks abt them' is all he says :(
Kingstone

Post by Kingstone »

Thanks everyone for your responses. Fascinating. This post was in part triggered by my DS being given loads of time consuming, but very simple, half term homework, which might almost be designed to deliberately get in the way of preparation for second stage Tiffin....
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Kingstone wrote:This post was in part triggered by my DS being given loads of time consuming, but very simple, half term homework, which might almost be designed to deliberately get in the way of preparation for second stage Tiffin....
Looks like our school or these all are on the same wave length?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

newto11+ wrote:Am so happy someone started this thread - till now I was in the impression that my DS's school head/deputy head/teachers are really peculiar - one of a kind - they never missed a chance to show us 'having big dream' for our kids is wrong, being ambitious parents is a sin and mentioning 'grammar school' is like foul language to them!

After reading other posts in this thread I realised it is , infact , epidemic :)

Am still waiting for my DS's school to acknowledge and say something nice to him or at least make him feel like he is not doing something 'wrong' after he gained place in the top 10 in all 3 sutton/wallington school mocks and gaining 270+ in tiffins. Nope,not a single word but all they talk is Level 6 SATs!

And now my DS doesn't even want to tell anyone in his school abt these results. 'I shouldn't say' or 'Nobody talks abt them' is all he says :(
I just told mine that the opinion of the school did not matter. They did not gain a GS place for the benefit of the school but for themselves. Onwards and upwards.
Congratulations to your DS, amazing results.
Sunshine7

Post by Sunshine7 »

Sorry if I am asking a really dumb question....I don't understand why the primary schools are not in favour of grammar schools? If a child is successful doesn't it reflect positively on them to have been a part of educating a child to that level? I know in reality, this is isn't the case as tutors seems to be the norm but surely they take some credit for it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now