Tiffin School & CAF Deadline

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kashifzs

Tiffin School & CAF Deadline

Post by kashifzs »

Hello all, does anyone find it frustrating and baffling that Tiffin's 2nd stage is after the CAF deadline? Has anyone spoken to them about it?
What is your take on it? If your DS has passed the 1st stage are you going to chance it and put it down as a choice on the CAF?
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin School & CAF Deadline

Post by tiffinboys »

Actually, if parents bother to respond to schools' consultation in large number, some thing may change. Otherwise, we keep on agitating on forums like this one.

Btw, this issue was raised with the Schools Adjudicators and they ruled in favour of TGS and SGS who were the first ones to adopt post-CAF stage 2 tests. Since then, SGS has brought the date forward, but regrettably, St Olave's, HBS and Tiffin school have adopted this bad practice.

Make your voice heard and submit your objections to the schools when they submit their arrangements for consultation next time.
Doubledutch

Post by Doubledutch »

They say quite clearly that you can put them on your CAF and that the second stage test is only to determine the rank order. Obviously, that does mean that the bottom scorers might still not get in. So, do put them on your list.
bemuddled

Post by bemuddled »

Can anyone take an educated guess at how many re through to second stage?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

kashifzs, the same situation applied to Sutton Grammar a few years ago. Their exam used to be in November, after the CAF submission deadline. We put it on the CAF form as our first preference and as DS didn't qualify, our school no. 2 automatically became our new 1st preference.

If Tiffin is your true preferred choice, you need to put it 1st on your CAF. If your DS's rank order after the second stage in November does not give him a place, he will be simply automatically considered for the school that you put down as your choice no. 2 and you should be able to get on Tiffin's waiting list. You have nothing to lose by putting Tiffin first (if this is your preferred school) on your CAF.

Your only risk is that if you don't list Tiffin as your first choice and are offered a place at another school which you list as no. 1, your DS will miss out on his Tiffin chance even if he achieves a high score in stage 2. This is simply because if you get a place in your higher preference school, you are no longer considered for lower preference schools.

I hope that makes sense, but please search the forum for Equal Preference System and you will find a number of useful threads that explain this is detail.

Good luck.

Edit: one of the Equal Preference System threads is here, but there are many more...
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... em+diagram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
kashifzs

Post by kashifzs »

Thank you PurpleDuck! That was very informative-will definitely take your advice!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

You are welcome, kashifz. Sorry to hear about your disappointment re. Wilson's. I saw newto11+ suggested you should include it on your CAF if you want to appeal. I have no idea how that works, but there is plenty of advice on the Appeals section of the forum, so have a look there. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
catcool

Post by catcool »

[. You have nothing to lose by putting Tiffin first (if this is your preferred school) on your CAF.

Your only risk is that if you don't list Tiffin as your first choice and are offered a place at another school which you list as no. 1, your DS will miss out on his Tiffin chance even if he achieves a high score in stage 2. This is simply because if you get a place in your higher preference school, you are no longer considered for lower preference schools.

But don't forget if you live outside the priority area , no matter how good the score is you are very unlikely to get a place.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

catcool wrote:[. You have nothing to lose by putting Tiffin first (if this is your preferred school) on your CAF.

But don't forget if you live outside the priority area , no matter how good the score is you are very unlikely to get a place.
kashifzs - yes, Tiffin is a very popular school, their Priority Area (i.e. catchment) is 14km radius from the school and they offer places to in-catchment boys first, even if their scores are lower than those achieved by children who are out of catchment. I don't know which part of London you're in, so bear with me if what I say is not relevant to your situation.

I vaguely remember seeing something previously on their website saying that they get 10 applications per place and therefore it's unlikely an out-of-catchment boy would be offered a place, but I can't see that anymore.

In any case, their admissions policy indicates that applications from out-of-catchment boys are considered, so even if you didn't live in the Priority Area, I would still put it on the CAF as my first choice if I really wanted it. The worst thing that can happen is that they will not offer you a place, but it will have no bearing on your chances of being offered a place in your lower-ranked schools. Make sure, though, your think carefully about what school you list as no. 2 on your CAF, as that will become your top-ranked school if Tiffin does not offer you a place.

This is from the school's website:

Tiffin School’s Selection Criteria

10.1 Places will be allocated as follows:
i) To a boy who has an EHCP (formerly a Statement of Special Educational Needs) which names Tiffin School specifically on the Statement (...);

Places will then be allocated on the basis of selection by ability as demonstrated in Tiffin School’s test procedure in rank order of the Combined Mark within the appropriate category listed below and in the following order:
ii) Boys whose permanent place of residence (see Appendix B) is within the Priority
Area (see 11.1) of Tiffin School; and then
iii) Boys whose permanent place of residence is outside the Priority Area of Tiffin School (see 11.1).

11.1 All applicants who live less than 14km from Tiffin School, measured as a straight line, live in the Priority Area.

Their full admissions policy can be found there:
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... 202016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope it goes well for you. :)
kashifzs

Post by kashifzs »

Thanks PurpleDuck. We live in Streatham so are within the catchment area (I think it’s about 9-10km in a straight line).

We have a decision to make; WCGS, SGS and Tiffin. My wife is leaning towards putting Tiffin first but I am not sure what to do. I guess we have a lot to go over this weekend! But I’d rather be in this position than not! :D