ridiculous dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Beyond.beyond

ridiculous dilemma

Post by Beyond.beyond »

My son got 219. Not really an option for CHB or FW. But I have been increasingly told by parents whose kids are going to CHB to do put it as the top option as one never knows.
My question is have you faced the similar situation? I know if we are talking numbers, FW would have a slightly better chance. This is my list.

First place... Tbd
Aston
BV
Handsworth
Local comp

This why it is ridiculous. I cannot decide whether to put CHB or FW as the first. Although chances of getting in are pretty low. What would you guys do?
thirdtimemum

Re: ridiculous dilemma

Post by thirdtimemum »

Put your favourite followed by your next favourite...
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

Always put the order you really want up to the maximum 6. Looks like you could put both.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Put both in the order you really want them.
Good luck.
Beyond.beyond

Post by Beyond.beyond »

I am in Solihull. I only have five choices.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

FW = lower score 231 and some movement down to about 226, but with over 1300 applying for places, you do the math and well....

CHB = much higher score, less downward movement on waiting list, but likely less applicants than FW.

Better to have a slim chance than a certain no
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

I would go with the one you liked best, or the nearest one if you liked them both the same, and then with your other four choices which seem really sensible to me. As you acknowledge you are very, very unlikely to get either CHB or FW with 219 but you have 5 choices and you have nothing to lose by putting either of them first. Congratulations to your son, hope he's happy wherever he ends up.
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Always put the school(which you like )which has got higher cut off in the past year on the top of your list,
There is no point putting historically high cut off score school lower in the list ,you are wasting your preference..
If you don't get the first high score cut off school you will automatically go in the waiting list for it and you will be offered your second preference.
The whole point of FO giving you the previous 3 year cut off score with the result is to help in deciding which school to put where on your list.
Beyond.beyond

Post by Beyond.beyond »

I have a new dilemma now. It is one of those days. After visiting Handsworth today, I have decided to take it out of the list all together. It should be easier now but it is not. I will put CHB and FW on top as I know I have zero chance there. Now the tussle is between Aston and BV. I am not a huge fan of Aston. But it is with higher merit. I am just scared that by some luck, my son will get in Aston, he has 219...... Hightly unlikely but still. And I would miss BV. Or am I just delusional. I loved BV. :D
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Beyond.beyond wrote:I have a new dilemma now. It is one of those days. After visiting Handsworth today, I have decided to take it out of the list all together. It should be easier now but it is not. I will put CHB and FW on top as I know I have zero chance there. Now the tussle is between Aston and BV. I am not a huge fan of Aston. But it is with higher merit. I am just scared that by some luck, my son will get in Aston, he has 219...... Hightly unlikely but still. And I would miss BV. Or am I just delusional. I loved BV. :D
Well BV was 219 Vs KEA at 224 in terms of cut off

6% less people applied to BV last year Vs 5% more to Aston

BV was pretty stable 1073 in average applications in the two previous year, so not sure why it suddenly dropped down to 1009 (absolute) in 2015

circa 100 more people applied for a place at Aston than applied to BV last year.

Astons application pattern is distinct from BV. In 2013 it is the same as 2015, with a drop in application in 2014, so 2014 looks like a blip for aston, where as BV looks like more of a drop off of popularity, possible caused by Fairfax and Arthur Terry, not sure
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now