SWBGS - new GS annexe in Maidenhead?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

SWBGS - new GS annexe in Maidenhead?

Post by Sally-Anne »

A letter to SWBGS parents has gone out today:
23rd October 2015

Dear Parents

You may be aware that last week the national press covered a story about the Secretary of State for Education approving a “satellite” site to a grammar school in Kent. You may also have noticed references to similar ideas being considered in other parts of the country, including Windsor and Maidenhead. I am writing to let you know what the governors’ position on this is, as well as providing a little more background information.

Many of you will be aware that our catchment area has for many years included parts of Maidenhead. Indeed, until fairly recently it included virtually all of Maidenhead. We have for a very long time had Borlasians who commuted from the Maidenhead area. Today roughly 25% of our total school population comes from Maidenhead post codes, including the surrounding villages. It is projected that over the next few years the demand for secondary school places in the Maidenhead area will grow, with estimates suggesting that there will be a need to create up to an additional 150 secondary places per year. The development of a satellite grammar school is one of the alternatives being considered by the Windsor and Maidenhead Borough.

Whatever happens with secondary education in the Maidenhead area will have a direct impact on this school, and governors have a responsibility to examine any such developments and to make decisions that they consider to be in the best long term interests of the school. All of the other alternatives being considered also would have a potential impact on the school, from expansion of existing schools through to the creation of Free Schools or the creation of a satellite grammar by someone other than SWBGS. Therefore, the governors are clear that engaging in the decision making process is essential. This has been our position for the past year, since we were first contacted by Windsor and Maidenhead, and it continues to be the case.

There are many factors that need to be considered before taking a fully-informed view on the potential benefits or risks of an expansion of SWBGS. We understand the political leaders of Windsor and Maidenhead are considering whether this is a direction that they wish to explore in more depth. If so, the governors and the school’s Senior Management Team will participate in that process, and we will seek to make an assessment of what is in the best long-term interest of our school and its pupils and families. Governors are acutely aware of some of the challenges that would need to be addressed, and are determined to explore and assess all sides of the issue before reaching a balanced, fully informed view on the way forward. This process will obviously take time and research and consultation with many potential stakeholders, including parents and pupils, all of which can only begin if and when the Borough makes a decision to start the process.

We will, of course, keep you informed as things progress.

[Signed] Chair of Governors HeadTeacher
Looks to me as though they're up for it ...
BlueSmarties

Re: SWBGS - new GS annexe in Maidenhead?

Post by BlueSmarties »

Sally-Anne, I'm not familiar with the Maidenhead area (only occasionally drive through on our way to Cliveden!). Do you know if there is already a site earmarked?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I probably know even less about Maidenhead than you do, so the answer is "I'm sorry, I haven't a clue!"
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

This article was in the Daily Fail today, as well...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Kent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the craze that is sweeping the nation?!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

:(
pippi

Post by pippi »

Sally-Anne wrote:Looks to me as though they're up for it ...
So was Icarus..
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Kittymum, I think you're a Borlasian parent (apologies if I've got that wrong) - do you think it would be the wrong thing for SWBGS to do? Any other Borlasian parents around to share an opinion?

As a Reading parent, I can only imagine that a grammar school in Maidenhead might relieve some of the pressure / huge numbers applying for our 2 grammars... maybe.
justanothermother

Post by justanothermother »

BlueSmarties wrote:As a Reading parent, I can only imagine that a grammar school in Maidenhead might relieve some of the pressure / huge numbers applying for our 2 grammars... maybe.
It might considering that SWBGS is a sought after school. However I can also imagine it to be a very unpopular move with the current parents at SWBGS since their children might have to commute to Maidenhead at least once a week as a result. (Was not that a condition for approval of annexe in Kent?)
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

BlueSmarties wrote:Kittymum, I think you're a Borlasian parent (apologies if I've got that wrong) - do you think it would be the wrong thing for SWBGS to do? Any other Borlasian parents around to share an opinion?

As a Reading parent, I can only imagine that a grammar school in Maidenhead might relieve some of the pressure / huge numbers applying for our 2 grammars... maybe.
Yes I'm against it - SWBGS is a small local school - this would fundamentally change it!

Let's not forget SWBGS is a Marlow school - I fail to see how this benefits Marlow. Maidenhead folks may feel differently.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I've just read in the Times that "Conservative councillors in Central Bedfordshire want to open a similar selective annexe in Dunstable or Leighton Buzzard by encouraging a grammar school in Aylesbury or elsewhere in Buckinghamshire to expand."
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now