Greenshaw School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
R.gg

Greenshaw School

Post by R.gg »

My DD passed her Wallington, but too far, I was just wondering how good the Greenshaw is, is it equivalent Wallington or any state school? Any pros/cons will be welcome. She's got 5 marks less in nonsuch so again no chance in appeal, I guess.
pooziepuzzle

Re: Greenshaw School

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Greenshaw is a comprehensive school with a selective stream. I have never visited the school but I work with someone who has 2 daughters there, In the selective stream, who narrowly missed out on the grammars. They are very bright hard working girls who have done extremely well there. She has been happy with the school. My friend has been very happy with the school. From what she tells me her girls would do well in any school. But she's sad they didn't make it to grammar school.

How far are you from Wallington? What would the journey time be?
R.gg

Post by R.gg »

Well, an hour and half, I guess from Kingston, whereas nonsuch was less. The thing I actually don't know is it worth travelling to Greenshaw since it is not even Grammar.
shaysmum

Post by shaysmum »

I liked the school,but its not a grammar, despite sitting the first stage paper.
Last edited by shaysmum on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Agreed- one and a half hours journey is too far to go to Wallington. Do you have a local comp you would be happy to send you DD to? If she is bright and hard working she will no doubt do well there too. Greenshaw is def not the same as one of the grammars. One of my DS does an hour commute to one of the grammars but i would have chosen our local comp with his friends over travelling to Greenshaw if he had not got the grammar. Of course i didn't see the school but can only imagine its just like a comp, as is Graveney which I've visited many times. I know Greenshaw will let you visit/ look round if you haven't already but as its half term and the CAF has to be in by next week you've run out of time before the forms due.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Last year or year before, some one did mention getting place in WH. I hope they come and give idea about how they are managing travel.

OP, have your considered Coombe Girls as well. They have grammar stream too and results are good in that stream. Heard some very good gcse results there this year, including 11 A*/As.

Other schools near Kingston are Hollyfield in Surbiton and Gray Court in Ham. Easily accessible from Kingston. Another choice may be the new school, Kingston Academy.

Good Luck for stage 2 of Tiffin Girls as well.
flumper

Post by flumper »

Hello R.gg

for what it's worth - we toured the school and liked it very much, it had a great feel to it and we were all very impressed, we put it on our CAF but we do live relatively near so travel would have been OK. I agree with others, better to select other comps nearer to your area.

Most places at Greenshaw are allocated to local children, and as regards the 60 selective spaces I'm only aware of one OOC boy from DD's primary who got in on this basis - no-one else did. I think (anecdotally) there are very high numbers of local but OOC kids putting this as a back up for the sutton grammar schools and extremely high competition for v few spaces as a result.
R.gg

Post by R.gg »

Thanks everyone for your advice. yeah, tiffinboys, I called Coombe last week and they said its unlikely my DD would get a place there since catchment. It seems nowadays, its hard to get a place even in good state schools if you are living 2-3 miles away. My only hope is Tiffins now.
Madammummy

Post by Madammummy »

We loved Greenshaw it was a lovely school we put it on caf after nonsuch. We were shown round by a boy that commuted from Kingston it took him 1.5hrs to that school by 2 buses. He loved it there he got in due to passing grammer test
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now