Additional Year 7 Places at WHS January 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lillie

Additional Year 7 Places at WHS January 2016

Post by Lillie »

Just thought some parents may be interested to know that WHS has announced further Year 7 places for January 2016.

The timetable is tight, with testing being held for these places on Friday 27 November 2015. Further details are available on the WHS website. Parents need to register beforehand - timelines are on the website.
munisha

Re: Additional Year 7 Places at WHS January 2016

Post by munisha »

Hi Lillie

That's interesting. Just out of curiousity, who are these extra places aimed at? Children who maybe didn't get the required 121 in this round? Or children who didn't get in due to catchment? Just wondering...

Thanks.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If they had qualified I would have thought the 11 plus result would stand - I thought it was valid for the whole of year 7?
scary mum
justanothermother

Post by justanothermother »

I would not be surprised if it's the same as RGS: local children with good KS2 results who didn't get through on appeal.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It must be very frustrating for local people who went to appeal and didn't get a place to now find them trying to fill empty places.
justanothermother

Post by justanothermother »

It surely is! And unless there is some clever plan to fill the extra spaces with local children I think the expansions discussed on the other thread might make the matter worse.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

justanothermother wrote:I would not be surprised if it's the same as RGS: local children with good KS2 results who didn't get through on appeal.
Rgs are seemingly relaxing the definition of "good" for ks2 results too, simply over riding every normal criteria for grammar school entry and basing it on their own test. So if wycombe high are doing similar and your child has less than level 5 sats at ks2 just go for it and apply anyway.

As an aside:
Let's hope the rgs test is robust enough this time, not the same as previous years, because the content of that one is known by several parents and was easier than the 11+ by all accounts, which led to a few shock admissions, which as suggested did upset people who had near 11+ misses but lost at appeal and had given up trying.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

[quote="Tolstoy"]It must be very frustrating for local people who went to appeal and didn't get a place to now find them trying to fill empty places.
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:02 pm

I don't think this is about filling empty spaces but is the creation of new spaces, though I have no idea how many. It seems a very tight timetable though, so anyone interested in applying needs to contact admissions at WHS asap.
trudie

Post by trudie »

southbucks3
justanothermother wrote:
I would not be surprised if it's the same as RGS: local children with good KS2 results who didn't get through on appeal.

Rgs are seemingly relaxing the definition of "good" for ks2 results too, simply over riding every normal criteria for grammar school entry and basing it on their own test. So if wycombe high are doing similar and your child has less than level 5 sats at ks2 just go for it and apply anyway.

As an aside:
Let's hope the rgs test is robust enough this time, not the same as previous years, because the content of that one is known by several parents and was easier than the 11+ by all accounts, which led to a few shock admissions, which as suggested did upset people who had near 11+ misses but lost at appeal and had given up trying.
It's a good point SB3 but schools are desperate for the extra funding of more 'bums on seats' - they lose an astronomical amount of money by non-take-up etc and so will be - in the absolute sense of the word - desperate to fill places.

It's sad when like you say, there are many who take the exam plus appeal process at face value and then give up in the hope of getting their child settled at their secondary school.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

trudie wrote:
southbucks3
justanothermother wrote:

As an aside:
It's a good point SB3 but schools are desperate for the extra funding of more 'bums on seats' - they lose an astronomical amount of money by non-take-up etc and so will be - in the absolute sense of the word - desperate to fill places.

It's sad when like you say, there are many who take the exam plus appeal process at face value and then give up in the hope of getting their child settled at their secondary school.
I think the point is these parents had got their child settled into upper and were not prepared to risk another failied attempt at grammar, there being only so much confidence knocking a child can take. If they had any inkling how easy the test was going to be they may have tried again.
I'm not assuming any of these late entry tests will be easy this year, but I am trying to give anyone who thinks their child is bright enough to have a go.
At the same time if there is any doubt they will keep up and they are happily settled in upper dont make them miserable in a fast paced grammar school; prestige, rugby, friends, none of it makes up for the daily grind of not quite understanding lessons and feeling very overwhelmed but unable to express as much.