Bucks selection review 2015 HT Reccommendations

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MIC

Bucks selection review 2015 HT Reccommendations

Post by MIC »

Hello, I have joined the forum as, although I have been helped by so many invaluable information from the members without posting anything for myself now I feel in need of advice.

My DD sat Bucks 11+ last month and the result was much lower than we expected. 113

As my DD wishes, I am trying to go for the selection review.

I am out of country area (Middx) and HT was kindly filled in the form for us. Then, the questions are:
1) HT reccommendation 2:1
KSI Sats all L3
Current performance Oct15 Math:Mastering Writing:Exceeding Reading:Exceeding
Predicted performance Jul16 Math:Mastering Writing:Exceeding Reading:Mastering

DD says she has done wery well in assessment tests at school this week and she sat L6 pepers in Math and achieved top score in whole class in English. She thinks she is L5+ in all subjects but the school does not use levels for the reports anymore (although teachers still seem to use levels to measure their attaintment)

Does it sound vague? or is there anyone who is the same situation and got Achieving/Exceeding/Mastering in the HT report? and will that still look strong academic evidence? She did not write any letter or additional comment. Will it make the case less advantageous?

2)extenuationg circumstances
Well I suspect my DD had extreme pressure and tension on that day as this score is contradicting to the performance of mock tests and many assessment tests papers(such as bond, CGP,Letts). Few things I could thinks of is that several month ago, I had a health issue and had to be treated at the hospital and we went through a rough time at the time of preperation.

Another thing was that she had someone pecking during the exam and obviously got distracted, but she was too shy to report so there is no evidence...

Therefore I try to stress the academic ability by including the school report for Y5 but should I still mention above for the extenuating circumstances?

Any comment would be appreciated.
Guest55

Re: Bucks selection review 2015 HT Reccommendations

Post by Guest55 »

I'm confused - is she at a Bucks Primary or a partner school?

If not then the HT recommendations aren't valid because they have to be submitted to Bucks CC before the results.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

On my form there is a box where the Head teacher puts previous SATs information. For predictions if they are still using the old tracking I think they can put that down. If they don't the new tracking is

A= below
B= at expected
C = above expected
D = significantly above expected.

There is then a space for CATs, reading age etc results.

Is the Head teacher going to add the most recent test scores your DD gets when they are marked or have they given you their final copy?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Tolstoy wrote:Is the Head teacher going to add the most recent test scores your DD gets when they are marked or have they given you their final copy?
It might have changed this year, but last year we were told by the HT that he/she couldn't change any of the comments on the HT report (and I think that was corroborated on this site), but they were able to give you new information/reports if you requested them (if they were feeling supportive and/or helpful!)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think if they have put a recommendation pre test like 3:3 they can't change it to say 1:1 for review or appeal but on the review form there is space for test scores CATS reading ages etc and they can be added to right up until you submit it, possibly after but not sure about that.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

A few comments on your proposed review, but I'm afraid they may not help you very much.
1) HT reccommendation 2:1
Section 2 of the summary sheet invites out of county (non partner) headteachers to enter recommendations such as the 2:1 given in this case.
However, these recommendations may not carry as much weight as recommendations from Bucks and partner schools (section 1) which had to be submitted before the results of the 11+ were known.

Level 3s at KS1 is encouraging.
With regard to KS2 predictions, the vagueness of the new system is likely to be a problem for everyone!
Review panels will probably look to see what the rate of progression has been from Y2 to Y5.
They will also be interested in the strength of support as expressed in section 6 (see below).
She did not write any letter or additional comment. Will it make the case less advantageous?
If by "no additional comment" you mean she left section 6 (Headteacher’s additional information) blank, then yes, I'm afraid you will be disadvantaged. The wording in section 6 is important. The headteachers manual says: "Be aware that your choice of language on the form is important as it will indicate the degree of support you are expressing."
should I still mention above for the extenuating circumstances?
Your extenuating circumstances don't look very strong.
"Pressure and tension" won't count for anything, as everyone could claim that when there's no supporting evidence.
There's no evidence of the distraction during the test.
Was your daughter's school work affected during the time of your ill health? Can the school confirm this?
Uncorroborated circumstances won't be accepted, not least because this is a desk exercise and the review panel will have no opportunity to question you.
The problem you have is that they do say "exceptional circumstances" are expected for a review.
BucksBornNBred wrote:It might have changed this year, but last year we were told by the HT that he/she couldn't change any of the comments on the HT report (and I think that was corroborated on this site), but they were able to give you new information/reports if you requested them (if they were feeling supportive and/or helpful!)
That is true for appeals - but the time scale for reviews is very different. Review forms are due in early in November - and reviews begin in November!
Etienne
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Etienne wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:It might have changed this year, but last year we were told by the HT that he/she couldn't change any of the comments on the HT report (and I think that was corroborated on this site), but they were able to give you new information/reports if you requested them (if they were feeling supportive and/or helpful!)
That is true for appeals - but the time scale for reviews is very different. Review forms are due in early in November - and reviews begin in November!
Not hijacking this thread, just want an explanation now! We had a HT meeting saying we might go to review and during that discussion we were told that NO changes could be made to the HT score/comments.. was that wrong?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

was that wrong?
No - with regard to a review, I'm agreeing! :)

Nothing on the summary sheet can be changed for appeal purposes either - but as you mentioned in your previous post, the headteacher might possibly agree to provide "new information/reports if you requested them (if they were feeling supportive and/or helpful!)" closer to the date of a summer term appeal. After all, the time scale for appeals is very different, and a lot could happen between October and May!
Etienne
MIC

Post by MIC »

Thank you everyone for quick comments.

Also, thank you Etienne for giving me the answers for my specific questions. I know I don't have a strong extenuating circumstances. I kept my health problem myself and the school is not really aware of and I didn't have a report from the teacher of Y5 that my DDs work had a dip. I believe that it affected her to some extent but again it had been personal.

I will try to ask our HT whether she can add some comments in section 6.