Commute from London to Colchester Royal Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eastender

Commute from London to Colchester Royal Grammar School

Post by Eastender »

Hi

Having visited CRGS, I understand children do commute from East London to attend the school. If anyone is proposing to do this from Sept 2016 please pm me. I know many will disagree with the commute but this post is not meant to open a debate on the topic.

Thank you.
Minesatea

Re: Commute from London to Colchester Royal Grammar School

Post by Minesatea »

Do you mean for year 7, 9 or 12?
I know of a weekly boarder commuting in Monday am, home Friday pm, but obviously that is for sixth form.
Malli

Post by Malli »

Hello

I am also very interested in commuting from London to Colchester school.
I dont know any coach services so i am trying to arrange private transport.
where do you live?
if interested please contact me.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

It's a straight route in from London to colchester and, depending on which train, takes between 65-95mins. They are very busy trains. I remember commuting between Chelmsford and colchester for college and the 8am train (with the aim of getting to college for 9am) was frequently late and very overcrowded, not sure if that's changed much.

As for then getting to the schools if you go from North station hop on a local bus to the county hospital, otherwise it's a shortish walk from town station.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You may have to pay full whack for rail tickets for CRGS boys - the only Colchester academic institutions on the Scholars Season Ticket section on the Abellio 'green rail travel' site are ColCHS and Colchester Sixth Form.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

That rail line is quite unreliable in terms of timings, frequent delays and any form of weather seems to cause problems. DH spent quite a lot of last year moaning at me from Rail Replacement Buses. I'm not sure I would want to rely on it every day.

Plus yes, very very busy at certain times of the day, unpleasantly so.
KB

Post by KB »

The school sent a letter out last year about discounted rail fares so its worth checking as you may be able to get the discount.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:The school sent a letter out last year about discounted rail fares so its worth checking as you may be able to get the discount.
WHSB and WHSG are also in the scheme, but you have to ring the company to book rather than being able to do it online. Well worth using, especially in the sixth form when adult fares are payable otherwise.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
chala

Post by chala »

Hi Malli and Eastender,
did any of you manage to arrange any transportation to CRGS from London. I'm also looking for available so that I can take an informed decision to go ahead with CRGS or look for other available options.

Please let me know.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Here's the link for the discounted rail travel (CRGS still not showing under 'Colchester', but as KB says that the school has written to parents about the scheme, you may just need to ring up rather than booking the ticket online):
http://www.greenrailtravel.co.uk/acatal ... tion-.html

Using Romford as a sample starting point, for ColCHS the annual fare would be £1462.40 for a student aged 15 and under.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now