SGS / Wilsons - Timing of the school day?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chilledmum

SGS / Wilsons - Timing of the school day?

Post by Chilledmum »

Does anyone know the start and finish times of the school day at Wilsons and SGS?
I'm sure I should know the answer but I think it passed me by!
Thanks
Coconuts

Re: SGS / Wilsons - Timing of the school day?

Post by Coconuts »

For SGS boys are in playground for 8.20 with 8.30 registration. School finishes at 3.35 and year 7 (& possibly 8 & 9) have early release one day a week which is around 2.50.
I asked a similar question on timings last year so have a look at threads from same time of year (pre CAF deadline) & that will hopefully answer your question re Wlsons.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Here you go
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=40067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chilledmum

Post by Chilledmum »

Thanks Coconuts that's really helpful... Does your DS go to one of these schools now then?
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Yes Chilledmum he is at SGS.
Chilledmum

Post by Chilledmum »

Coconuts, is he happy there?
:wink:
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Yes, very happy! Have sent you pm with more detail
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Hi Coconuts ,
We are having difficulty filling the CAF in terms of ordering the preferences - looking at Wilson's and SGS as our first two choices. Tried to get some suggestions as well..
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=44751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can see that your son is in SGS.Could you be able to help us by sharing your DS's experiences in that school. Though it is very near to us, having playground far away is putting us off somehow. Actually how does it work?

And also do they have many clubs like wilson's .couldn't see the list in their website.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Hi newto11+
Yes of course I’m happy to try and help – I remember this time last year when we were making the same decision.
Firstly, my son is really into sport so those types of club are his thing. All sport seems to be very inclusive though, so even if the boys aren’t particularly proficient, it sounds as though they’re really encouraged to take part. It’s worth looking at the dedicated PE website as they list all of the clubs. They have been swimming every week during PE since the beginning of term (he tells me how warm the water is).
http://www.sgspe.co.uk/clubs-activities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The games lessons for him at the moment are on one afternoon so they are taken to the sports ground after lunch. There are options to leave for home from there, be dropped at the 213/151 bus stops or taken back to school. It works very well.
I know there are plenty of clubs that aren’t sports related – I’ve just asked my son and he has listed choir, art, photography, games (board), chess and debating. He says there are loads more that he can’t remember off the top of his head. The form tutors keep them up to date with all of the different opportunities.
From a playground size perspective, my son is managing to tear around with a ball during break times. There are plenty of clubs on offer so I really don't think that space is an issue.
He is really enjoying maths and all 3 sciences and, from the work I’ve seen in his books, seem to have covered a lot in a short period of time. They’ve been tested in various subjects pre half-term.
My son isn’t particularly musical, but is enjoying the music lessons. Prior to joining, we did have a letter offering the opportunity to take lessons in different musical instruments, but didn’t pay too much attention as he wasn’t keen. The opportunities are definitely there though.
We couldn’t have wished for a better transition from primary school. He has met loads of new friends, both in his form and in other forms. The journey seems to have proved to be quite a hit and he can’t wait to get out of the house in the morning! He is really happy and it’s so lovely to see – he even comments on how quickly the week goes now compared to his old school. The head of year made it very clear that parents are expected to contact form tutors with any concerns and, true to their word, my son’s tutor has come back to me really quickly when I did get in contact.
We did deliberate between SGS and Wilsons as first choice and opted for SGS – we loved the atmosphere in the school and the shorter journey was a key influence in the decision. I’m so glad that we did opt for the nearest. I too was impressed with Wilson’s head, but equally have been equally impressed with SGS head too.
I hope that helps and good luck with your decision!
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Thank you so much coconuts for the detailed reply. People like you are making this forum so special.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now