Tgs or colchester girls which one was topping league table

Post by curiousappa »

Which school in top ten most in last 10 years

Not sure which one will be Better

Both schools are seems good and similiar results

Even this year gcse results identical

slight difference in Alevel compared with IB results

But location location location

Tonbridge seems easy and better train connectivity to London to get to work.

Facility wise tonbridge seems better

Colcgs alevel A*-A in science and Maths 54.5%
TGS IB level equivalent to A*-A in science and Maths 46.95%

Any one who moved from tonbridge to colchester or colchester to tonbridge ???

TGS Sunday times state school of the year , IB school of the year
IB really makes difference???

Colcgs ???
curiousappa

Re: Tgs or colchester girls which one was topping league tab

Post by curiousappa »

live in cambridgeshire and planning to move
Both schools have great teachers
But tonbridge has turnbridge wells and Sevenoaks nearby which us plus in location wise
Kent is very nice in infrastructure and good private schools just incase if you want to move later in 13 plus or in sixth form
We like the feel of tonbridge
Results bit low since they are full IB

But colchester in top 10 in recent league table
Tonbridge is not since they are in IB and their Level 5 not concidered as per ucas . But tgs says even their level 5 students got medicine seats in exeter and Leeds university.
Still confused
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I won't be the first / only person to tell you that a couple / ten / 25 places difference on whichever league table most takes your fancy really matters very little compared with which school is the best school for your own child. I don't know where your DD took the Kent Test, but presumably she sat the CSSE test at ColCHS? If so, how did she feel about what she saw of the school? (Hopefully not, 'Please never make me go back there', if it is now a serious contender for place on your CAF).

There is also the question of where you would prefer to live / has the best job prospects / best suits your lifestyle etc. From that point of view, you seem to be veering towards Kent anyway.

Your DD has the potential to do well wherever she goes, and certainly either of the two schools are more than capable of facilitating her success. Even our poor lowly grammar schools in Westcliff and Southend get their sixth formers into 'top' universities and medical schools (and more importantly, into the universities which those students have identified as being the best place for them to study the subject they want to take). I very much doubt that at any point in the future anyone would look down on her for having attended either TGS or ColCHS.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Hi. Check that they are both doing well in the league tables then drop the analysis. You can't compare IB with A' Levels as they're two completely different examining/learning styles. TGS may have dropped slightly in the IB score since they went all IB in 6th form but they're still above the national average for IB scores. I don't know what Colchester does at GCSE. TGS do mainly IGCSE and this is why they don't even appear in many league tables as these are not always reported. They have plenty of other accolades to make up for it though, as has been mentioned earlier. This is another reason why you can't take league tables as gospel.

I'd suggest checking out both schools personally in terms of what else they offer beyond the curriculum and get a feel for each, then go with your instinct. If they're both pretty similar results-wise, then that is what it should come down to.

Incidentally, my daughter is in Y11 at TGS and has thoroughly enjoyed the Wednesday afternoons off timetable in years 7 and 8, for other activities. There are a lots of school trips away. She has also obtained the DofE bronze award and attended mindfulness training in Year 10. This year, they do subject clinics instead of the last lesson on a Wednesday, for the first two terms of the year and she is also on a 6-week anxiety-beating course in lieu of exam pressures. In the first two terms of 2016, she is doing work experience every Wednesday afternoon which they have had to source themselves.

I'm sure Colchester does similar and I am not deliberately promoting TGS exactly but just trying to say that a school is more than just league table results so try and get under the skin of them and find out what they're really about.

Good luck.
Last edited by franticmum on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamu

Post by mamu »

curiousappa you and us are proabably on the same boat; OOC and very confused which ones to put in CAF.
I will now twist the question:
Which one is a better choice - Tonbridge or Nonsuch or Wallington girls.

With limited options in CAF we will have to make a choice between Kent and Surrey.
Distancewise surrey is closer to us but commutewise Tonbridge is better and almost take the same travel time from where we live, in case we don't relocate.
My DD is biased with Maths and science, hates literature and want to become engineers like both parents.
Based on this which school will be best for her?
mad?

Post by mad? »

mamu wrote: Based on this which school will be best for her?
My apologies if this is a little direct but I think perhaps subtlety is not really working here. Also my apologies as this is not really aimed at you mamu, more a general rant.

We don't know.

Make your decision based on what you thought when you visited.

If you didn't visit, more fool you. Why should people on this forum endlessly and tirelessly offer advice to people who cannot be bothered to do their own research?

How does everyone feel about the amount of tax payers money that is being spent on DC taking a ridiculous number of speculative tests?
mad?
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

mamu wrote:curiousappa you and us are proabably on the same boat; OOC and very confused which ones to put in CAF.
I will now twist the question:
Which one is a better choice - Tonbridge or Nonsuch or Wallington girls.

With limited options in CAF we will have to make a choice between Kent and Surrey.
Distancewise surrey is closer to us but commutewise Tonbridge is better and almost take the same travel time from where we live, in case we don't relocate.
My DD is biased with Maths and science, hates literature and want to become engineers like both parents.
Based on this which school will be best for her?

Mamu, I can understand that you are trying to make a difficult decision here but frankly without knowing your child, her likes and dislikes how can you possibly take our own impressions of a school as a guide in selecting your preferences. Your daughter will spend the best part of the next Five years / possibly 7 years at one of these institutions and in my view if you have missed the open days then it might be best to spend time on the respective websites of the schools ( that is if you have not done it all ready) with your daughter, listing the pro and cons of each school.

There is more to a school than league tables, friends, extra curricular activities, pleasant environment and general well being.
Good luck
mamu

Post by mamu »

probably your ID suggests what you are! mad?
If you don't have any advise please ignore the post but don't be so rude.
Lets not talk about tax payers money....probably I did mention as a parent what our professions are, based on that you can well imagine how much tax we are paying annually!!
Probably paying lots of people's council tax and utility bills in this forum, not sure probably that includes even you.... sorry for being very rude here.

This whole grammar school test is a myth....there are regions where there are 30 grammar schools and IC people just need a pass where as those living in London they have absolutely nothing.....and our kids are working so hard getting in some regions 40 - 50 marks more than the IC cut off marks and still in the limbo whether we will get a place. The situation is more worse for DDs than DSs.

Please try to respect others circumstances. You probably have seen the OOC-london DC's scores here in this forum. These kids are bright kids and not clinging on to hold a catchment seat, rather competing for the top 5-10% merit lists.
doodles

Post by doodles »

For curiouscuppa, whose original question seems in danger of being hijacked I would follow franticmum's advice.....
franticmum wrote:..... a school is more than just league table results so try and get under the skin of them and find out what they're really about.
This sums it up perfectly.

Having boys I'm not "up" on girls schools but they both sound excellent and if you really are completely open as to where you live I would urge you to visit and one will "feel" right.
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

Thanks for all your advice
I get what you guys mean
Mad don't you know how well tax payers money spend in this country
Please read news paper regularly
Atleast we are spending tax payers money on good cause
Trying to educate our children best scool as possible
And we are not spending on rubbish stuff
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now